Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 12, 2009, 12:23 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Pellitier Cooler Questions

I am specifically interested in experimenting with JUST the cooler (with 2 wires attached rather than a pre-made cpu cooler).

Has anyone here played with pellitier coolers? After I get my new motherboard I will be installed duct work to aid in cooling. I am wondering about using them to further cool the ducting/air.

My first interest in these goes back a couple months. I wanted to modify my cars center console and convert it into a humidor (Climate controlled cigar storage box).

Is there a controler available to turn a cooler on and off at different temperatures?
Old April 12, 2009, 06:51 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Sorry to tell you, but a peltier (TEC) cooler Must be used with a standard heatsink/waterblock/etc for proper cooling. Its only meant as a heat transfer device, not as a "true" cpu cooler - it would probably overheat/melt/destroy itself if used alone to cool a cpu.
Old April 12, 2009, 10:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

I think I know what you're talking about. I actually own a cooler like that, and it has a controller circuit that shuts down the pelt at the inputted temperature, then turns it back on when the temperature rises. Unfortunately, I don't think you're going to find any ready-made controller that will allow for that kind of controller.

The closest thing that I can think of would be a fan controller with software control that allows for full fan profiles. What I would do is set the pelts on a separate circuit, with an inline relay that can be triggered with 12V (easy to find in an automotive store). Then, simply use a temp probe to let the controller decide to send either 0V or 12V to the relay, thus triggering the pelts without overloading the controller. The problems with that approach is that you don't get any fine-control over it - it's all or nothing, and that if you use a separate PSU, you'll need to make sure the PSU has no issues with being run at no-load.

Honestly, I don't think the idea would be very effective. Even setting aside the issue of condensation, you'd need a pretty serious pelt to effect a decent air-temperature drop, by which time you've got both the moved heat + the pelt's heat to dump somewhere, which can be no small task without resorting to something like water-cooling.
Old April 12, 2009, 11:56 AM
Top Prospect

I have an 80 watt that I.ve been playing with for the last couple of years.
Basically everything everyone has said is correct.

In saying that, using the coolit controller might not be any more difficult than modifying
the connection to the tec. I've always wanted to pick one up and try to get it working.
NCIX.com - Buy Coolit Systems MTEC Control Center Monitoring and Regulation Software ESA Ready - ACMCC In Canada.

Failing that, It would just have to be hardwired, as pelts do not like to be switched on and off. It degrades them very quickly.

WC Loop: DD Cpx-Pro | HWL 240 Xtreme | D-Tek V2