Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 13, 2009, 07:26 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
in theory your idea is correct about where the air is coming from that is going through the heat sink...but at the same time, he is in an enclosed case. chances are that after a few minutes of load, the entire case temperature equals out. same thing that happens in a water loop and why loop order really has a small impact on temps. that is the way i look at it. i just think without the CPU being pushed more and the cooling gets closer to its limits, changing heat sink orientation won't have much effect.

i could be completely wrong as that is one of those things that has to be tested on an individual basis to really know.
That's what I thought too, the way I setup my heatsink, the hot air gets out off my case a lot quicker. For airflow, my case as plenty. I got 2 front intake, 1 rear exhaust, a top exhaust (Big Boy) and a Side Intake. My video card idles at 40 degree. So, both my CPU and Video Card are cooler.

I think you are right there, even though it under my video card, even if I was to rotate it and make it face my rear exhaust, the overall temp in case is pretty much the same. Also, the back on my video card is cool (not even hot on touch).

Anyways, I'm pretty happy of my LOAD temps, then if my temps are good, time to try some mild overclocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Oh I know its subjective, Airflow patters and thermals is something that I've done for a bit with my Job and as such gives me good Guessing abilities lol.
I could be completely wrong too 3oh6 , as you say its case by case basis.
Best way to know is to swing that TRUE facing the other way for a test and see what happens.

Regards,
ST

The thing is, I don't want to take it apart again. My IC7 is properly installed, and if I was going to rotate it, I would need to reapply more, which I don't...
CPU Intel Core i7 2700K 3.5GHZ
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V
Memory Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II
Sound Card ASUS Xonar DX
Old May 13, 2009, 07:51 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I don't blame you there, if your happy with it, and such a small Delta, then go for broke and leave it as is.
I feel the same way about the MaxOrb I put on my Folding rig.
Great Cooler, PITA to get it mounted right inside the case though lol.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old May 13, 2009, 08:26 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
I don't blame you there, if your happy with it, and such a small Delta, then go for broke and leave it as is.
I feel the same way about the MaxOrb I put on my Folding rig.
Great Cooler, PITA to get it mounted right inside the case though lol.

Regards,
ST
That TRUE is a real pain in the ass to setup too!
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V
Sound Card ASUS Xonar DX
Old May 13, 2009, 08:47 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chos3n View Post
That TRUE is a real pain in the ass to setup too!
agreed, i almost started smashing stuff.. lol

Old May 13, 2009, 10:05 AM
MVP
F@H

I also use a TRUE with a push-pull configuration on one of my rigs and it works amazingly well with some average CFM fans. I would be inclined to turn it 90 degrees too. From the pics I saw, seems like there would be some very "warm" air coming off that NB...and those things can get toasty! Plus, isn't the fan on the NB blowing right into the "push" fan of the TRUE? Just seems counter-intuitive in your particular setup to have the TRUE pointing North-South instead of East-West. I guess the only way to find out is to try a 90 degree rotation and compare the temps, but I think at your present temps, you really have nothing to worry about. But if you're trying to get maximum performance, then it should be worth a try. I know I'd try it!

My Heat, Ebay, RedFlagDeals

Rig 1: CM HAF - Rampage Extreme - QX9650 - OCZ Gladiator Max - 4GB Mushkin DDR3 1600 - GTX280 - 2xBarracuda 500GB - 1xBarracuda 250GB - Pioneer DVD - Corsair 1000HX

Rig 2: Thermaltake Armor - P5K-E - E3110 - TRUE w/ 2 120's - 4GB Ballistix DDR2 1066 - 9800GX2 - 2xBarracuda 250GB - Pioneer DVD - Corsair 620HX

Rig3: Antec 900 - P5K-E/Wifi - E5200 - OCZ Vendetta 2 - 4GB OCZ DDR2 800 - 2x 8800GTS's - 1xWD Caviar 80GB - Pioneer DVD - OCZ 650W PSU
Old May 13, 2009, 10:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
But if you're trying to get maximum performance, then it should be worth a try. I know I'd try it!
Agreed....I found with my TJ09 Case I have tried various combinations of "intake / out-take" with my 6 x 120mm Scythes. Setting up both "positive" and "negative" environments within the case and then checking Temps under load.
As for the TRUE, I had no issues at all mounting.Yes with much force it can be rotated on its mount. For easier mounting, I found that applying some small pieces of electrical tape to the Backplate (secure to the Mobo) helped ensure it to remain stable while applying the mounting screws. Cooling has been improved with the addition of another 120mm fan at the rear of the HS "pulling" air to the 120mm Case Exhaust Fan....originally I had only the single "pulling" air into the HS...yes its arranged in an east / west orientation.
I chose to not go N/S as this would have resulted in my TRUE drawing in the warm air adjacent to the NB and GPU....

Old May 13, 2009, 10:48 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Happy to see I'm not the only one who thinks this way at least lol!

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old May 13, 2009, 11:32 AM
Allstar
F@H

So, I could just change the air flow path. Instead of shooting it in the air, I should have my Big Boy and TRUE pulling cool air... that would a nice possibility, I might that that later on... (until I'm done folding)
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V
Sound Card ASUS Xonar DX
Old May 13, 2009, 08:41 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT! View Post
agreed, i almost started smashing stuff.. lol
hahaha...me too the first time.

I still think with all the screwing around, and the fact that your idle is so close to your load temps that it's really dirty.

When there's a lot of heat your doing "ok", but it's less sensitive. I would thoroughly clean the HSF and IHF with acetone until the cloth comes back clean. You'll see a crapload of black crud come off of there and although your load will remain pretty close, your idle should drop a few degrees.

It's similar to what my coolers were doing until I learned to properly clean them before installing, using my wifes' plain ol nail polish remover.
Old May 13, 2009, 09:26 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchutch View Post
hahaha...me too the first time.

I still think with all the screwing around, and the fact that your idle is so close to your load temps that it's really dirty.

When there's a lot of heat your doing "ok", but it's less sensitive. I would thoroughly clean the HSF and IHF with acetone until the cloth comes back clean. You'll see a crapload of black crud come off of there and although your load will remain pretty close, your idle should drop a few degrees.

It's similar to what my coolers were doing until I learned to properly clean them before installing, using my wifes' plain ol nail polish remover.
I used a cloth and alcohol... removed everything that was there (The old OCZ Arctic Silver)...
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V
Sound Card ASUS Xonar DX