Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 12, 2009, 06:30 PM
Allstar
F@H

Well I have been running wPrime for over 30 minutes and the LOAD temps were 42 - 43 and the IDLE temps were 36 - 37.
CPU Intel Core i7 2700K 3.5GHZ
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V
Memory Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II
Sound Card ASUS Xonar DX
Old May 12, 2009, 06:57 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chos3n View Post
Well I have been running wPrime for over 30 minutes and the LOAD temps were 42 - 43 and the IDLE temps were 36 - 37.
that indicates that the cooling is handling the heat load quite well. a 6C delta between idle and load is very good. should indicate good contact and the cooling being very far from its limits.
Old May 12, 2009, 07:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
that indicates that the cooling is handling the heat load quite well. a 6C delta between idle and load is very good. should indicate good contact and the cooling being very far from its limits.
Yeah, that is a good delta, could just be warmer than normal Ambient Air because of what I already mentioned 3oh6.
And, his Northbridge is right there as well, thats a lot of heat dump in a confined space.
I'd love to get my Thermal Eye to have a look at that and see if that is the case.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old May 12, 2009, 07:43 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chos3n View Post
I wouldn't go to the step of lapping my CPU... considering I won't overclock ( maybe a mild overclock, nothing extreme). Also, the fact that I need to sand my precious CPU .
?.
no need to lap the cpu aswell, just lapping the true will make a difference, it did with mine. take a razorblade and check to see how rounded it is, you'll be surprised.. both my trues were rounded huge.

Old May 12, 2009, 07:54 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Well, I was surprised too with the LOAD temp... It was barely moving from it starting point. Thank you for sharing your expertise 3oh6 .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Yeah, that is a good delta, could just be warmer than normal Ambient Air because of what I already mentioned 3oh6.
And, his Northbridge is right there as well, thats a lot of heat dump in a confined space.
I'd love to get my Thermal Eye to have a look at that and see if that is the case.

ST
Well if it ain`t broke, I shouldn`t take the heatsink off and rotate it. But I wonder if you could confirm what Soultribunal said 3oh6. Is it true that the way I put my TRUE that it would draw more hot air. Should I put it that it is facing the rear exhaust? Also, you may note that if I rotate it, then I draw hot air from my RAM modules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT! View Post
no need to lap the cpu aswell, just lapping the true will make a difference, it did with mine. take a razorblade and check to see how rounded it is, you'll be surprised.. both my trues were rounded huge.
Yeah I saw it, I took a ruler yesterday and I could see the "magnificent curve".
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V
Sound Card ASUS Xonar DX
Old May 12, 2009, 08:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Something tells me your RAM wouldn't create as much heat as a VC and NB combined.
But, let 3oh6 ponder what I said, and he will probably reach the same conclusion.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old May 12, 2009, 08:03 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Something tells me your RAM wouldn't create as much heat as a VC and NB combined.
But, let 3oh6 ponder what I said, and he will probably reach the same conclusion.

Regards,
ST
Well, true. But also, I don't have the a fan coming from that height. My fans are located in front (bottom and middle)... but that my thought. It would be possible that my video produce a lot of heat, and also that 680i runs hot also...
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V
Sound Card ASUS Xonar DX
Old May 12, 2009, 08:09 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

in theory your idea is correct about where the air is coming from that is going through the heat sink...but at the same time, he is in an enclosed case. chances are that after a few minutes of load, the entire case temperature equals out. same thing that happens in a water loop and why loop order really has a small impact on temps. that is the way i look at it. i just think without the CPU being pushed more and the cooling gets closer to its limits, changing heat sink orientation won't have much effect.

i could be completely wrong as that is one of those things that has to be tested on an individual basis to really know.
Old May 13, 2009, 04:35 AM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oversized Rooster View Post

Finally...about this new thermal compound...if it really could drop your temps by 5 as compared to AS5 or MX-2 then don't you think you would see it for sale at reputable stores instead of just at this forum? Again...false expectations.
Don't mean to sound bias, but that's not a conclusion based on imperical data and contrary to the results even just off this forum alone. Just follow the link and check back often...the "reputable" list will continue to grow. And I consider HWC one of THE most reputable sites on the net.

@OP, seems like you're getting good results under load. I never place much stock on the idle readings...load is what really matters and there's been much confusion about how good the sensors are on these chips at idle anyways. 6C delta is pretty good from my perspective.

My Heat, Ebay, RedFlagDeals

Rig 1: CM HAF - Rampage Extreme - QX9650 - OCZ Gladiator Max - 4GB Mushkin DDR3 1600 - GTX280 - 2xBarracuda 500GB - 1xBarracuda 250GB - Pioneer DVD - Corsair 1000HX

Rig 2: Thermaltake Armor - P5K-E - E3110 - TRUE w/ 2 120's - 4GB Ballistix DDR2 1066 - 9800GX2 - 2xBarracuda 250GB - Pioneer DVD - Corsair 620HX

Rig3: Antec 900 - P5K-E/Wifi - E5200 - OCZ Vendetta 2 - 4GB OCZ DDR2 800 - 2x 8800GTS's - 1xWD Caviar 80GB - Pioneer DVD - OCZ 650W PSU
Old May 13, 2009, 05:59 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
in theory your idea is correct about where the air is coming from that is going through the heat sink...but at the same time, he is in an enclosed case. chances are that after a few minutes of load, the entire case temperature equals out. same thing that happens in a water loop and why loop order really has a small impact on temps. that is the way i look at it. i just think without the CPU being pushed more and the cooling gets closer to its limits, changing heat sink orientation won't have much effect.

i could be completely wrong as that is one of those things that has to be tested on an individual basis to really know.
Oh I know its subjective, Airflow patters and thermals is something that I've done for a bit with my Job and as such gives me good Guessing abilities lol.
I could be completely wrong too 3oh6 , as you say its case by case basis.
Best way to know is to swing that TRUE facing the other way for a test and see what happens.

Regards,
ST