Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 25, 2009, 09:27 PM
Top Prospect

Default Heat sink comparison

I've narrowed my choices of a new sink down to two but I'm having a hard time making a decision. The successful candidate will be cooling a i7 920. I don't plan on doing any serious OC'ing and the heatsink will be housed in a CM HAF case.

The two candidates are: The Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme ... and ... The Noctua NH-U12P.

Both have some good features and both seem to do their jobs quite well. I'm leaning towards the Termalright simply because of those butt ugly fans on the Noctua ...

All opinions are welcome.
Old March 25, 2009, 09:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Those butt ugly fans come with it (1x I think) and are considered to be great heatsink fans. Not sure if your other choice can say the same.
Old March 25, 2009, 09:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

With that same decision upon myself I went with the TRUE. Couldn't be happier.

Old March 25, 2009, 09:40 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorsejohnny View Post
Those butt ugly fans come with it (1x I think) and are considered to be great heatsink fans. Not sure if your other choice can say the same.

Actually, 2 fans are included for twice the ugliness
Old March 25, 2009, 09:46 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_HT View Post
With that same decision upon myself I went with the TRUE. Couldn't be happier.

Looks good and BTW that's the same board I ordered ... What kind of fans are those, they are not the stock fans right?
Old March 25, 2009, 09:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Looks good and BTW that's the same board I ordered ... What kind of fans are those, they are not the stock fans right?
No I didn't order the TRUE with any fans, those are antec tri cool LED's.. Not the greatest of performers, but they have 3 speed switch, and LED's!!!!

Here's a pic to show the fans...
BTW, I like the motherboard.

Old March 26, 2009, 05:12 PM
Top Prospect

I have had both coolers, previously a TRUE and now the Noctua. With the two "butt-ugly" fans The TRUE is a great cooler, my Noctua doesn't quite match it's temps. I lapped the hump off the TRUE's base and did the washer mod, which stopped it from swivelling freely, and probably shaved a degree or two off it's temps.
About a 2C difference in load temps for me in favor of the TRUE. I gave the TRUE to a friend as part of an upgrade. Switched to the Noctua mainly because of the better mounting system. I swap out cpu's a few times per year and the TRUE became too much of a hassle to re-mount. The Noctua had a flat base, and two simple, solid mounting screws to attach to the mobo.
Both are great coolers. The "butt-ugly" fans on the Noctua can be switched to any other fans you want if the color is a big deal, just as with the TRUE. Aside from the color, they are good fans, and a good value when included with the Noctua.

Jake HT:
Nice setup, great photos
Unlike the blurry shot below

4G GSkill DDR3 2000 Ripjaws
Asus P7P55D-Pro
2x EVGA GTX275 in SLI
PC P&C 750 Silencer
Cuda 500
Antec 902
W7 64 RTM

Last edited by Retro; March 26, 2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old March 26, 2009, 08:57 PM
Top Prospect

From what I've read and what I seen here, there doesn't seem to be a hell of a lot of difference in these two coolers. For me, it came down to a simple matter of aesthetics. I know the Noctua fans deliver amazing performance, but ... well, you know my opinion of their appearance. Today I made my choice and ordered the TRUE.

Thanks to Retro & Jake for your input and photos.
Old March 26, 2009, 09:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

You could have sold those 2x fans easy.
Old March 26, 2009, 09:42 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
From what I've read and what I seen here, there doesn't seem to be a hell of a lot of difference in these two coolers. For me, it came down to a simple matter of aesthetics. I know the Noctua fans deliver amazing performance, but ... well, you know my opinion of their appearance. Today I made my choice and ordered the TRUE.

Thanks to Retro & Jake for your input and photos.
You won't be disappointed with the TRUE's performance. For me, the Noctua fans work fine but I wouldn't consider them amazing. A 220cfm Delta, now that's amazing
Now you can try the included TR fan with the LGA1366 TRUE, it has good airflow at 63.7cfm and the new fan holder looks good with the black fan.
4G GSkill DDR3 2000 Ripjaws
Asus P7P55D-Pro
2x EVGA GTX275 in SLI
PC P&C 750 Silencer
Cuda 500
Antec 902
W7 64 RTM