Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 2, 2009, 12:24 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Cooler Master is actively looking into improving the design and are paying VERY close attention to AkG's mod.
Old March 2, 2009, 01:37 PM
Allstar

could you replace the "soldered" 2-pin with a pot?

that way you could find the min "start" voltage/resistance and then be able to crank it up if you want? Sort of a manual an controller for a TEC?

reversable and adjustable.

if it worked
Old March 2, 2009, 01:47 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yes you could stick a potentiometer / rheostat in there, but you would also have to hack a bit of the plastic casing out to allow the wires to hang out to the side of the V10...other wise it would be a royal PITA to adjust :)

My main goal was 100% TEC usage not adjustable usage ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 2, 2009, 01:57 PM
Allstar

fair enoof

I like the review, but the product isn't my style. I built my w/c setup for a bit over $160 (used parts I admit, but still), and having said that I am less than impressed with the sound level of even that, so the v10 loses there too.

good job all around though!
Old March 4, 2009, 08:18 AM
Banned

Default What a waste of a review!

why?
ok 1 big problem.
Ever hear of socket 1366?
Who cares how it performs on an older Intel socket. HC says: "you have to remember that it only really, really shines when a massive amount of heat is present"
so obviously that tells me, to properly review this cooler, you would want the hottest CPU and Socket there is? (an i7 920 with 1.5vcore/vtt at 4Ghz should do)
Hows about a real review with an i7 with HT on and OFF, as well do ur TEC mod.

Sorry for the rant, I am a long time fan of HC, and sorry my first post had to be this, but I was very excited to see a quality review of this product (I know HC always has great reviews), but was floored to see this obviously important omission with this review.
Old March 4, 2009, 08:21 AM

Times are tough. As such, we can't afford to send i7 systems to all of our reviewers. Simple as that.
Old March 4, 2009, 08:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Times are tough. As such, we can't afford to send i7 systems to all of our reviewers. Simple as that.
ok sorry, I understand. Well I guess another reason I was hoping for an i7 review was: my V10 will hopefully be sent out anyday now from NCIX, and my crappy i7 920 needs atleast 1.5vcore and 1.5VTT to get 4Ghz stable (no HT). Anyway I will post back my results. I have a massive Mozart TX with 23 fans (well, may have to remove a couple when the V10 gets in there), anyway I am hoping all this insane airflow (when fan controllers are at high speed anyway) will make this V10 perform nicely (but time will tell).
Old March 4, 2009, 08:37 AM

Please do report back. Just remember that anyone's comments are taken into account and you are not the first person to ask about i7 results. We accept glowing comments as well as critiques with the same open mindset.
Old March 4, 2009, 08:38 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_p View Post
why?
ok 1 big problem.
Ever hear of socket 1366?
Who cares how it performs on an older Intel socket. HC says: "you have to remember that it only really, really shines when a massive amount of heat is present"
so obviously that tells me, to properly review this cooler, you would want the hottest CPU and Socket there is? (an i7 920 with 1.5vcore/vtt at 4Ghz should do)
Hows about a real review with an i7 with HT on and OFF, as well do ur TEC mod.

Sorry for the rant, I am a long time fan of HC, and sorry my first post had to be this, but I was very excited to see a quality review of this product (I know HC always has great reviews), but was floored to see this obviously important omission with this review.

Actually I am sure there are some freak AMD Chips out there that could teach the i7 a thing or two about thermal Load.
That being said, if you are a long standing fan of HC, you know there would have been a more polite and reasonable way of asking a question such as yours.
Finding out the --> Why <--- is always important before you go off on a Tangent.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 4, 2009, 08:51 AM

We did test with a high TDP AMD chip which makes i7 processors cry for mommy in the heat production department.