Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 24, 2009, 09:54 AM
Rookie

Default What is a good backplate compatable heatsink?

Hello everyone,

About 5 months ago i built a system with the OCZ Vendetta 2. It came highly recommended ( I also see a lot of posts about it on these forums ) but i cant stand those intel push pins. It took an hour of applying a lot of pressure just to get those pins connected at the same time onto my board.

Anyways, I'm not confident that the intel pins on the Vendetta 2 will hold the heatsink in place and I'm afraid that it will pop off every time I touch my case.

Here is my setup.

Antec P182 Case
ASUS P5Q Pro
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400
OCZ Vendetta 2

Im looking for a good heatsink that is installed using a backplate. Ive never installed a backplate before ( are they typically sold separately? ), but I think it will take the worry out of my mind.

Thanks in advance!
Old February 24, 2009, 10:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You can try the Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120, it uses a backplate setup, and will offer cooling as good as or if not better than the vendetta.

It comes with the backplate, just have to order the right setup (in your case you'd have to get the 775 bracket).

I don't like pushpins either!
Old February 24, 2009, 10:16 AM
Allstar

I have no problems with the pushpins, easy on and off. The vendetta is a 20 second install. Just get a flat straightedge (metal, or something strong) then position it under the fan, ontop the pushpin, and push down. Easy as pie. I couldnt find my metal ruler so i used a saw blade that came with my saws all.

| ASUS P8Z68-VPRO | Intel i5 2500K | 8Gb Patriot Viper Xtreme | 2x 60gb OCZ Solid 3 SSD | EVGA GTX260 Core216 |

Old February 24, 2009, 10:24 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by element291 View Post
I have no problems with the pushpins, easy on and off. The vendetta is a 20 second install. Just get a flat straightedge (metal, or something strong) then position it under the fan, ontop the pushpin, and push down. Easy as pie. I couldnt find my metal ruler so i used a saw blade that came with my saws all.
Sounds like it either goes on easy... or its the most difficult thing in the world. It honestly took me an hour to get it on in the first place. I had to apply a large amount of force, I was worried I would break my motherboard. By the end of it, my fingers were killing me, and I was exhausted.

Even after all that, Im not confident that it will stay on. There were a few times where I thought I had it and it would pop off again as I was installing the other components.
Old February 24, 2009, 10:27 AM
Allstar

LOL. Depending on which way the pin is turned is a big factor. When I first installed a pushpin type cooler, the one pin was turned counterclockwise, so everytime i pushed it down, it would just pop back up everytime. Very irritating. Once you figure out exactly how the design works, they are easy

| ASUS P8Z68-VPRO | Intel i5 2500K | 8Gb Patriot Viper Xtreme | 2x 60gb OCZ Solid 3 SSD | EVGA GTX260 Core216 |

Old February 24, 2009, 02:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

2nd the TRUE. Very high quality mounting mechanism although the GTZ waterblock has some great hand turn screws-shame they don't do that-guess its too big if you try it without a removable tray. I dont like pushpins on big sinks, still have bad memory's of the sycthe ninja popping off after the dog bumped the case.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old February 24, 2009, 04:11 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the recommendations Jake_HT and magictorch :)

The Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme does look like the top of the line. Ill consider it, does anyone have any others in mind? Or is the TRUE the end all be all?
Old February 24, 2009, 05:39 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

You could buy the backplate and use it on the Vendetta... NCIX.com - Buy Thermalright LGA775 BOLT-THRU Kit for Ultra 90/120 & HR-01 Retail Box - BTK-LGA775R In Canada.

Old February 24, 2009, 07:28 PM
Rookie

Ah, Im such a noob :)

Thanks LCB001, you just saved me some major cash.
Old February 24, 2009, 09:17 PM
Allstar
F@H

I second just adding the backplate to the Vendetta 2. Pretty easy to pop the push pins off and once you get the mounting kit all set up it'd survive a hurricane.
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown