Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 1, 2009, 09:18 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Question fan speed problems

First i would like to apologize in case this is the wrong sub-section for my question.
I would like to ask fellow HWCers on a solution to a problem that I have with controlling fan speed on my PC. Currently I have a GFXChilla installed on top of my VGA Card, but this cooler runs at full speed from the get go. I have tried speedFan but I was not able to regulate anything using this program. My motherboard is ASUS A8N-E with BIOS 1013 and windows XP. I use the three pin connector provided and also tried three different spots on the motherboard to connect the pin to. Strangely enough, sometimes if i hit the sides of my PC case hard enough the speed would go down for a few minutes up to an hour or so before going up to it's maximum again off course it would be crazy to keep hitting my PC everytime.
Thank You for your time.:help::help:
Old February 2, 2009, 05:37 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Hmmmm do you have a spare fan kicking around that you can try on those 3 pin connectors?
Perhaps the fan on the VGA cooler is not working right.
My only suggestion would be to get a simple Fan speed controller (hardware) and use that to regulate the voltage going into the fan.

Newegg.ca - ZALMAN MFC1 Plus-B Black 6 Channel Multi Fan Controller - Controller Panels

Something like that,

Only thing I can really think of,

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 2, 2009, 05:44 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

On an older motherboard it's entirely possible that Only the CPU fan header can be speed controlled. So, if you have a quiet CPU fan @ max already, you can connect your GFX Chilla to the cpu header and then look for an option like "CPU Q-FAN" or "Automatic Fan Control" and enable it. Please note however that this setup will make your GFX Chilla spin up whenever the CPU gets hotter (aka full load). Another option, as SoulTribunal mentioned, would be to get a fan controller to slow the speed of the GFX chilla down. If you only want to control its speed and not the speed of any other fan in your case, I'd suggest this:
::: Zalman, leading the world of Quiet Computing Solutions :::
To buy (Less than $5 at DirectCanada):
Zalman Fan Mate 2 3-PIN Fan Speed Controller 5-11V - DirectCanada

Hope the info helps.
Old February 2, 2009, 06:23 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Ahhh I forgot about the FanMates, those are really useful too CM.
Glad you found them!

I know Apevia Makes slot Controllers as well, which would work too.

Newegg.ca - APEVIA FC-01 Multi Fan Speed Controller - Case Accessories

Hope this all helps,

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 2, 2009, 06:35 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thank You Very Much for the suggestions SoulTribunal and CMetaphor. I guess fan controller is the only way. I actually considered this to be a problem mainly because nobody seemed to complain about the fan speeds in the reviews, so I assumed that somehow the fans are supposed to turn automatically not with the highest settings. I actually just changed the fans with another fan an it turns fast too, as you guys said probably there's no voltage regulator for my A8N-E. It is scary though that hitting the pc could lower the fan speeds somewhat. Thank Again guys.