Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 27, 2009, 06:23 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Air Cooling your Chipset

I know most people in the HighEnd OC range will WC everything including their Chipset, but I was wondering who Aircooled their's and what they used?
I was also debating the Fan Air Flow direction as well,

I will be replacing my Poor DG35EC with Asus come April, but I'd like to Air Cool the damn NB and SB chipsets (they only have aluminum HeatSinks for passive) because they run very hot (Namely because I have 4x1 instead of 2x2 for RAM , so that stresses the NB )

Any suggestions? Thoughts?

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 27, 2009, 06:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I find the antec spot cool fan useful for this. It has 3 speed + cool blue leds !

And it can be installed everywhere.

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old January 27, 2009, 07:00 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks Masta!
I was considering that, I suppose I am just a buff for having the fan Mount directly to the Heatsink material, however if no other solutions present themselves, I might just do that.

I was for sure going to use a Spot Cool on my MOFSET and such once I put it all under water, so..

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old January 27, 2009, 07:46 AM
Banned
F@H

Here's an old review I did:

AOA - A look at aftermarket chipset cooling
Old January 27, 2009, 08:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

EnzoTech
Old January 27, 2009, 08:25 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Thank you both for POsting and linking me to those sites.

Cadaveca, good review, I figured that aftermarket solutions would have to outperform these stock ones I have right now.

Hopefully I can get the heat under wraps. In the end, I end up chasing the heat around my case till everything gets nice and cool under operation.

Best Regards,

ST

Old January 27, 2009, 08:38 AM
Banned
F@H

Just remember that that review is a couple of years old now...and that those products are all still readily available.

Unfortuantely, with board makers going with the heat-pipe route for board cooling, most of these options are only partial solutions...thankfully there is enzotech with mosfet coolers to go with the chipset cooler...and chipsets are much cooler-operating than in years past.
Old January 27, 2009, 09:02 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Oh I am aware of that , and it is good to see the chipsets getting better stock cooling (i'm in love with Asus/Gigabyte boards for this).
I just know this Intel Board is in serious need of some Chipset love, Fluke Laser posted 89degrees for NB....so thats what had me somewhat worried.

Best Regards,

ST

Old January 28, 2009, 09:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Looking at the heatsink of that board ST a 40mm fan might just do the trick for you and it would be a really cheap solution.

EE
Old January 28, 2009, 12:50 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, I just ordered:

Welcome to IndustryEducation.com

And the Fan that goes on the new LGA1366 Board from Intel as well.

Hopefully that kicks it down a few degrees, I don't know what the safe temp on this board is, but I'd rather not melt it just yet..

Regards,
ST