Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 6, 2009, 04:50 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchutch View Post
I would bet a PCI video card that the AC Xtreme GTX280 smokes the Thermalright HR-03 GTX...
Woo! I would bet an old set of DDR1 Mushkin ram
Not really going to bet any "stuff" on it, but I think the HR-03 GTX can hold it's own against the AC Cooler. Only time will tell, would like to see to some direct testing results that could properly compare the two. Competition is a good thing.
I do like the slim design of the AC, far more suitable to sli setups, the HR-03 GTX is not a practical heatsink for more than one card.
4G GSkill DDR3 2000 Ripjaws
Asus P7P55D-Pro
2x EVGA GTX275 in SLI
PC P&C 750 Silencer
Cuda 500
Antec 902
W7 64 RTM

Last edited by Retro; April 6, 2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old April 6, 2009, 05:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'll be picking up one of these ASAP. I love the results I got with the Accelero Twin Turbo and my 8800GT
Old April 6, 2009, 10:44 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I was kidding about the bet...lol. Just very confident about the AC GTX280 capabilities as I have been researching them both for awhile.

But I agree because of the fan thing, as soon as you put one on the HR, what else can you fit in there?? lol. Most certainly not SLi capable...
Old April 7, 2009, 04:57 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
I was kidding about the bet...lol. Just very confident about the AC GTX280 capabilities as I have been researching them both for awhile.

But I agree because of the fan thing, as soon as you put one on the HR, what else can you fit in there?? lol. Most certainly not SLi capable...
Heh! I'll put away my old set of Mushkin then It's too bad the 200 series Accelero wasn't available a few months ago, I certainly would have considered trying one out. The Thermalrights work well and all that but they are really bulky. They have the T-Rad2 which is more of a slimline cooler but never made a version for the 200 series cards.
I'm fine with the HR-03 GTX because I have no pci cards or any plans to go sli, but it sure limits anyone who does have that kind of setup.

Anyhow, good for Arctic Cooling to bring out the Accelero for these cards. I think they will be selling a lot of them and give Thermalright some serious competition.
4G GSkill DDR3 2000 Ripjaws
Asus P7P55D-Pro
2x EVGA GTX275 in SLI
PC P&C 750 Silencer
Cuda 500
Antec 902
W7 64 RTM
Old April 7, 2009, 06:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I'm fine with the HR-03 GTX because I have no pci cards or any plans to go sli, but it sure limits anyone who does have that kind of setup.
Yeah I ran into a little trouble with my Gigabyte board with 2 PCIE x 1 slots at the top I had to remove my PCI soundcard because it ended up choking off the fan to the HR-03 GTX. So back to integrated sound for now until I can afford a decent PCIE x1 soundcard.

I also believe the HR-03 GTX does holds its own to the Accelero Xtreme GTX comparing my results to the both reviews I see pretty similiar results, clearly the Accelero does have one clear advantage its smaller footprint. In my position as stated above this would be a better choice for users that still need those bottom PCI slots.

Look forward to my review just as soon as I can get.

Regards,

EE

Last edited by Eagle Eye; April 8, 2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old April 8, 2009, 08:54 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Yes I am running SLi, and would like to keep my X-Fi, but wouldn't mind an excuse to get a PCIe 1x sound card. It would be nice to put it up there...
Old April 14, 2009, 02:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hey guys spoke to AC it will start shipping in early May to the US so don't expect to see it here in Canada until mid June at the earliest.

Regards,

EE
Old April 15, 2009, 02:21 PM
MVP

My System Specs

boooo-urns!

Damn, I was hoping the newly added backplate was holding it back, but only until this month...
Old May 1, 2009, 09:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hey Guys I was doing some reading about the Extreme GTX280 and found this over at the techpowerup forums.

Accelero Xtreme GTX 280 mini review - techPowerUp! Forums The guy did a minireview which sort of turned into a project by the end, it gets rather interesting around post 11.

It made me wonder why ThermalRight and Arctic Cooling didn't do the same.

Quote:
boooo-urns!

Damn, I was hoping the newly added backplate was holding it back, but only until this month...
As you might of noticed the provided backplate isn't really needed the stock will do just fine and looks a hell of alot better.

Regards,

EE

Last edited by Eagle Eye; May 7, 2009 at 08:26 PM. Reason: added content and corrected punctuation
Old May 1, 2009, 10:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Very interesting read. I really can't wait to get this damn thing but I'm going to have to do something for the VRMs. The solution for me is not going to be cutting the stock cooler, however.

I wonder if this can be modified to work?

Swiftech

Last edited by Perineum; May 1, 2009 at 10:42 PM. Reason: late night run on sentence....