Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 23, 2009, 10:06 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Default Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT CPU Cooler Review Comment Thread

Part of our big Core i7 kick off was a CPU cooler from Thermalright. Normally AKG is responsible for this genre of hardware but that EVGA board was screaming for some better CPU cooling so I took the task on. Without a lot of LGA1366 CPU coolers available, we decided to focus on how fan configurations affected performance. Here is the link to the review...

Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT CPU Cooler Review

Feel free to post any comments, questions, or concerns here in this thread. Typical Thermalright quality and performance...but the stock i7 965 cooler running the system at 3.9GHz still blew me away, albeit at an average temperature of 92C
Old January 23, 2009, 10:32 AM
F@H

My System Specs

First, Good review as always. It was the quality and the depths of Hardware reviews that brought me here in the first place.

I think the TRUE is the pinnacle of Towercoolers. It is the Technology stretched to its limits (with some small exceptions). What Thermalright has to do now, is make the base and heatpipes out of High grade Silver if they want to increase the cooling power of this beast.

The only thing, is as stated getting this thing to fit in some builds could prove challanging...all in all its a good design (I was shocked it came with a fan!).

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 23, 2009, 11:16 AM

My System Specs

I really wish they would sell that fan-clamp-thing separately. I had the wire clips with the older trues. I currently am using elastic bands because I didn't want to have to cut my closed corner fans.
Old January 23, 2009, 11:51 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I really wish they would sell that fan-clamp-thing separately. I had the wire clips with the older trues. I currently am using elastic bands because I didn't want to have to cut my closed corner fans.
NCIX.com - Buy Thermalright U120E 120MM Fan Holder for Thermalright 120MM Heatsinks - U120E In Canada.

...$5 and change
Old January 23, 2009, 12:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

Very nice review. Good old Thermalright performing well.

Now all we need is a HWC LGA 1366 Heatsink Roundup Review.. Really
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old January 23, 2009, 12:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I really don't know what to say...I mean, I think we've hit maximum performance out of air cooling. I know that 3.9 GHz is a fairly high OC on an i7 (and these do run hot), but it's still a fairly high temperature when its in the 70s. IMHO, I don't like running anything over 65. Even push/pull configuration doesn't really do any good when temps are that high.

I think I'll invest into the i7 architecture when the 32nm node comes out.

Awesome review though! HWC > all.
Old January 23, 2009, 03:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Just has this installed in my Case today....very nice looking Cooler and fits in the East / west config with the Fan on the Dimm side perfectly...theirs even room for an additional 3 x 2GB Dominators....(although I don't see the need to go to 12 GB). Also...glad I have the Silverstone TJ09...tons of room!!!
Can't wait to try OC'ing this...haven't even flashed up yet as I took one 280 Card out and threw it into my 2nd build (9800 GTX+) didn't arrive today and I want to get XP installed (their are some benefits to having 2 GPU's :) )

Old January 25, 2009, 03:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
First, Good review as always. It was the quality and the depths of Hardware reviews that brought me here in the first place.

I think the TRUE is the pinnacle of Towercoolers. It is the Technology stretched to its limits (with some small exceptions). What Thermalright has to do now, is make the base and heatpipes out of High grade Silver if they want to increase the cooling power of this beast.

The only thing, is as stated getting this thing to fit in some builds could prove challanging...all in all its a good design (I was shocked it came with a fan!).

Regards,
ST
I agree, but...

If you think ThermalRight heatsinks are expensive now can imagine how expensive they would be if they used silver. I think it would be cheaper just to go water or some other form of extreme cooling.

Thermalright is getting mixed reviews about the fans so I was told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
Well I really don't know what to say...I mean, I think we've hit maximum performance out of air cooling. I know that 3.9 GHz is a fairly high OC on an i7 (and these do run hot), but it's still a fairly high temperature when its in the 70s. IMHO, I don't like running anything over 65. Even push/pull configuration doesn't really do any good when temps are that high.

I think I'll invest into the i7 architecture when the 32nm node comes out.

Awesome review though! HWC > all.
The way I see it Bojangles a cpu running at 70-80oC might seem absurb to you based on previous experience and technology, however it is still within a safe distance of the TJMAX and what is has been designed to operate at. I think it speaks volumes that even at higher temperatures the system still maintains stability and operation, having an expectation for better just isn't needed if temperature you're operating within is considered safe and normal. I don't think we've approached the thermal limitation of air cooling its more the heatsink design and material that needs to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
Typical Thermalright quality and performance...but the stock i7 965 cooler running the system at 3.9GHz still blew me away, albeit at an average temperature of 92C
She be burning up the place, aside from the all the noise any sign of instability at the those temperatures?

I don't know if you have any around, but is there any chance you could chuck a couple of NF-P12's on there.

Regards,

EE

Last edited by Eagle Eye; January 25, 2009 at 03:51 AM.
Old January 25, 2009, 05:54 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Oh I know using SIlver would make it expensive. Then again, we are making TEC's, Phase Change, and L2N pots.... Why not right? People obviously buy them after all..
I think it'd be really cool.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 25, 2009, 07:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah money never seems to be an issue with most people, lets be honest if it worked well, I'd buy it and I've been buying Thermalright forever and price was never an issue to me.

EE