Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 26, 2009, 09:09 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
Yeah money never seems to be an issue with most people, lets be honest if it worked well, I'd buy it and I've been buying Thermalright forever and price was never an issue to me.

EE
Casting a Pure SIlver Waterblock would be the Ultimate in Thermal Transfer (its not 'That' much better than Copper , but in the age where degrees count, it would work).

I wait to see someone do this, would make me all happy inside!

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 26, 2009, 07:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

It's a structural issue as well - silver is much softer than copper, so it's hard to say how it would hold up in the long run.

Nice review, more options for i7 cooling are always welcome right now. I'm kind of surprised at how little impact a second fan seemed to be having on the temps, especially on a dense-fin setup like the TRUE. Makes me think there's a thermal bottle-neck between the IHS and the heatsink. No issues with thermal paste spread, huh?
Old January 26, 2009, 09:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Casting a Pure SIlver Waterblock would be the Ultimate in Thermal Transfer (its not 'That' much better than Copper , but in the age where degrees count, it would work).

I wait to see someone do this, would make me all happy inside!

ST
Been there, done that.

Cather Storm G5
Old January 27, 2009, 04:47 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Been there, done that.

Cather Storm G5
Hmmmm Not bad at all, not mainstream though yet... As I've not seen TT, ST or Kool offerning anything similar (although Koolance has a Gold Plated GPU Cooler.)
I think the internal structure would need some modification to be more practical, but very cool nonetheless, I never knew it was done.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 31, 2009, 06:06 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The TRUE is somewhat infamous for it’s normally uneven/grooved base plate and can benefit tremendously from an evening of quality lapping. Great fun, for the first ~ 10 minutes, but after an hour you start to wonder why they didn’t do this at the factory, especially in light of the somewhat premium price

I’d be more than a little leery about powering 2 fans from my motherboard and would suggest powering the 2 fan setup with two adapters, like these.

3-pin to 4-pin Adapter - FrozenCPU.com

I’m sure you’ve all laid your eyes on Thermalright’s “Limited Edition” true copper beast.

Thermalright "Limited Edition" TRUE Copper Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink (Socket LGA 775 / LGA 1366* / AM2 / Xeon*) - FrozenCPU.com

Only problem with that jewel is that your motherboard has to support all that weight.
Old January 31, 2009, 10:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

Unless you're running real screamers, or a really second-rate motherboard, shouldn't be too much trouble to power two fans off the motherboard. Most mobo headers are good for half an amp, and many are rated for a full amp.
Old January 31, 2009, 10:23 PM

My System Specs

thanks. orderd

And I've been powering Sanyo Denki's off mobo's since NF2 days. Never had a problem with it.

Last edited by lowfat; January 31, 2009 at 10:31 PM.