Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 19, 2009, 05:58 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default When does a Cooler Get too Big?

Curiosity really, but I noticed that Coolermaster is comming out with a V10/V12 Series of Cooler.
How much weight can a MB take for these coolers? By the Size it seems likely that once installed, you stand a good chance of snapping the MB in half with these.

Any thoughts?

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 19, 2009, 07:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I highly doubt that we'll see any motherboards snapping in 2, using the bolt through method does a pretty good of job of distrubting that weight over a greater area and takes a lot pressure off the motherboard (edit: to add the motherboard is also secured with 4 screws within that area and is also taking part of the load). The important thing to remember when you have such a large heatsink installed is to move your computer carefully and slowly, but you're right, there has to some limitation to weight and thats why you'll never see copper variants of these cpu coolers.

Oh and the V10, yeah seriously what a monster and all that with a 40mm square 70w T.E.C. (thanks werty)

As far how much weight a motherboard can handle I just don't know and I'll see what I can dig up.

Edit: Popped off a quick e-mail to Thermalright I'll update just as soon as they repsond.

EE

Last edited by Eagle Eye; January 19, 2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old January 19, 2009, 07:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yikes!
Old January 19, 2009, 08:08 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah that thing is a Monster of Air/TEC hybrid Cooling. Good to see someone is dedicating a Fan to cool off the MOFSET/Chipset part of everything.
Still, I'd be nervous as heck trying to move my case around.....

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old January 19, 2009, 08:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_HT View Post

Yikes!
Thank god I'm into water cooling, I'd be too afraid to put anything like that on my motherboard!

Last edited by Chilly; January 19, 2009 at 08:26 AM.
Old January 19, 2009, 08:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

WOW!!! I thought the hydrocopper 16 waterblocks were a lot of heft....won't be too many HTPCs with those inside ;-)
Old January 19, 2009, 09:24 AM
Banned
F@H

That's not even the final design, which is a bit bigger...
Old January 19, 2009, 09:35 AM
Allstar
F@H

Hehehe, first thing that came to mind was when I saw the weight of the TRUE Copper...failing to use it as a cooler, it has enough weight to be able to use the thing for hunting large animals.
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old January 19, 2009, 11:11 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
That's not even the final design, which is a bit bigger...

Dear god....
They are gonna get big enough were we have to Bolt them Through to the MB Tray, instead of the MB!!!!

Such is the way of things.
I'll wait till TT gets there Xpressar 3-Bay Unit through all its bumps and just use that instead lol!!!

ST

Old January 19, 2009, 11:18 AM
Banned
F@H

I'm still waiting for cpu's to migrate to the add-in board space, and for gpus to be on the mobos...becuase it's gpus that need this sort of cooling, not cpus...