LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 19, 2009, 12:03 PM
MVP
F@H

Exclusive look at Cooler Masterís V10 Heatsink :: TweakTown

Also, it uses a 70W TEC.
Old January 19, 2009, 01:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

Weird. That thing really could go one way or another. At high heat loads, it wouldn't suprise me if it pulled ahead by a degree or two, but I'm not what I expect from that pelt. Even a 70W pelt is going to have limited effect at full load, nevermind the additional heat it introduces to the case.
Old January 19, 2009, 01:33 PM
Banned
F@H

The TEC doesn't cool the cpu..it improves the efficiency of the heatpipes. Heat addition is negligible, IMHO.

Old January 19, 2009, 01:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
The TEC doesn't cool the cpu..it improves the efficiency of the heatpipes. Heat addition is negligible, IMHO.

Exactly.

Basically all the tec is doing is allowing the cooler to cool down faster after it has had a good load put on it.
Old January 19, 2009, 01:47 PM
Banned
F@H

Well, no, it increases teh speed at which the heatpipes can move heat, and turns off when there's little load on the heatsink. the larger the temperature difference from hot-cold sides on a heatpipe, the larger the heatload it can move. Heatpipes are just filled with a little water...the vapor needs to condense and re-vaporize...by keeping one end cool, the heatpipe will work far better, and teh vapor will always condense in a specific area.... This a means that delta between load and idle is less, or the overall capacity is increased.

If it was used to remove heat, then yes, the heatload dump into the case would be large, and the tec would be overcome very quickly.
Old January 19, 2009, 02:52 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

They called the SP-94 a core crusher years ago, obviously things are tougher than we think.
Old January 19, 2009, 02:58 PM
Banned
F@H

CPU's don't have exposed cores any more...
Old January 19, 2009, 03:22 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
Well, no, it increases teh speed at which the heatpipes can move heat, and turns off when there's little load on the heatsink. the larger the temperature difference from hot-cold sides on a heatpipe, the larger the heatload it can move. Heatpipes are just filled with a little water...the vapor needs to condense and re-vaporize...by keeping one end cool, the heatpipe will work far better, and teh vapor will always condense in a specific area.... This a means that delta between load and idle is less, or the overall capacity is increased.

If it was used to remove heat, then yes, the heatload dump into the case would be large, and the tec would be overcome very quickly.
Interesting. When I first saw that it used only a 70W TEC I had my doubts it would do well once you through a large load under it. I guess only time will tell.

Last edited by lowfat; January 19, 2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old January 19, 2009, 03:30 PM
Banned
F@H

Yeah, the tec is just used to create a delta between cold/hot ends of the pipe, AFAIK.

The ends of the pipe won't actually have alot of heat...you'd be lucky to get all 65w of a 65w cpu into a heatsink...nevermind 250w...evidence of this is how realatively well a CoolIT unit works...although barely any TEC power, still capable of handling a fairly large load...now, before you jump all over teh CoolIT units...no, they aren't the best, but...they do work fairly well at moving heat from one place to another...
Old January 19, 2009, 04:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

But if the tec is just to make a larger delta, wouldn't they want the cold end towards the fins? So the vapor/fluid will condense faster and then return to the hot end of the pipe? Because it looks like it trying to make the area closer to the CPU socket cooler, which (if anything) would reduce the temp delta between the core area and the fins. Or maybe I'm just looking at the photos wrong.