Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Air Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/)
-   -   230 mm replacement fans (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/13963-230-mm-replacement-fans.html)

serenity January 18, 2009 09:49 PM

230 mm replacement fans

Just got my new CoolerMaster HAF case and I'm lovin' it!

While transferring everything over to the new case, I have an idea to change my current blue colour scheme to orange. Perhaps a little ambitious seeing as orange lighting of any king is pretty much non-existent.

Anyway, I'd like to replace the stock 230 mm fans with some orange LED ones.
I've searched all over the place and the only orange fans I could find are these: 250mm Silent LED Case Fan - Black Frame - Orange - FrozenCPU.com
Unfortunately they are 250mm though... Has anyone tried to fit larger fans in the HAF?

Also, I am having trouble finding orange cold cathode lighting anywhere... As far as I can tell they don't exist :sad:

So: Orange 230mm fans and orange lighting... any ideas?

SugarJ January 18, 2009 10:10 PM

If you go to the CM store, they sell a RED led replacement fan that fits the HAF and Cosmos S. Then you could just replace the LEDs, put yellow plastic over the red ones to make orange, etc.

And the Logisys Red CCFL's are definitely on the orange end of the spectrum. They certainly are not the same color as red LEDs (speaking from experience).

serenity January 19, 2009 02:35 AM

alright thanks for the tips there SugarJ...
Ordered up a couple of those fans. Heh, couldn't find them on the CM site until I figured out that I wasn't in the CM store :haha:

Read some reviews on the Logisys CCFLs and yes indeed, a lot of people say they are more orange than red. Not that I didn't trust you... Just wanted to make sure before going out and buying some.

Now I just gotta figure out the best way to make the LEDs orange... Yellow plastic you said?

JD January 19, 2009 07:17 AM

You could just remove the red LEDs and replace them with orange ones too. I don't think it would be overly difficult.

sswilson January 19, 2009 07:28 AM

How about just colouring the red LED with yellow highlighter? :)

serenity January 19, 2009 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 140523)
How about just colouring the red LED with yellow highlighter? :)

Haw haw haw, very funny :bleh:

Yeah, depending on how hard it is to find orange LEDs, I might just replace them...
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

SugarJ January 19, 2009 06:40 PM

Don't laugh too hard, that's how I dimmed the super-bright LED's on my Sunbeam fan controller. Colored them up with a sharpie pen.

serenity January 19, 2009 10:14 PM

hmmm alright another question... What size LEDs should I order to replace the red ones that come with the stock CM 230mm fans? 5mm or 3mm?? Does it matter?
Also, tips on how to replace the LEDs? Solder? Just twist em together?
Was gonna get these ones (Either in 3 or 5mm):
LED - Pre-wired with Connector - 5mm - Amber Products Model: PW-LED5-AMBER [PW-LED5-AMBER] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come
They're pre-wired but I figured I could just cut the wires and attach them to the fan... somehow...

SugarJ January 19, 2009 11:15 PM

You should definitely solder them. As for size, darned if I know. And the LED fans usually have 2 wires running to the LED which is glued in place. Pop the old one out, (you may have to drill), solder, and use a dab o' silicone, epoxy, gum to secure back in place. I'd test them before gluing down. And I don't know about now, but back in the day LED's only worked one way. They have a positive and negative terminal, unlike regular lights.

Eagle Eye January 19, 2009 11:19 PM

Further from using something that hardens like a rock or permantly I suggest securing them with just a good ol glugun and some glusticks.