Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 18, 2009, 11:02 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

The temp sensors in your cores don't actually give the actual temperature values. Instead, they give the distance(In degrees Celsius) to Tjmax(The temperature at which the processor will shutdown to prevent damage.) Coretemp and Realtemp get the temperature by subtracting the distance to Tjmax value from Tjmax. The problem is no one really knows what Tjmax is for any processor because Intel does not supply that specification. Realtemp uses 95C as Tjmax, whereas Coretemp uses 100C. In my opinion, 100C is more realistic for a G0 Q6600 because if I use 95C it sometimes shows my temperature 5C below my ambient temperature when I first boot up my computer in the morning. You can use whichever program you want, you just might have to change Tjmax in Realtemp to get accurate readings.

(Oops, your're not using a Q6600 Anyways, I'm not sure what values the programs are using for your processor but there is probably a similar difference.)
Old January 18, 2009, 11:27 AM
Top Prospect

Thanks to all you guys for your help. It's not that i was really worried about the temps, especially since they seemed normal than usual. It's that i wanted to make sure that everything was working normally and accurately before i started my first overclock. I'm sure i'm not the first one to feel nervous when about to overclock for the first time. :D

Thanks again.
RAM: OCZ 4gb Platinum ddr2 800mghz
Video: Sapphire HD 5970
DIsplay: Benq 24 inch display
Old January 18, 2009, 11:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
The temp sensors in your cores don't actually give the actual temperature values. Instead, they give the distance(In degrees Celsius) to Tjmax(The temperature at which the processor will shutdown to prevent damage.) Coretemp and Realtemp get the temperature by subtracting the distance to Tjmax value from Tjmax. The problem is no one really knows what Tjmax is for any processor because Intel does not supply that specification. Realtemp uses 95C as Tjmax, whereas Coretemp uses 100C. In my opinion, 100C is more realistic for a G0 Q6600 because if I use 95C it sometimes shows my temperature 5C below my ambient temperature when I first boot up my computer in the morning. You can use whichever program you want, you just might have to change Tjmax in Realtemp to get accurate readings.
Actually, ever since Intel released some whitepapers in August, we're reasonable certain that we know the TjMax values for each processor now. The latest versions of Coretemp and Realtemp have been updated to reflect those values.
Old January 18, 2009, 01:18 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Actually, ever since Intel released some whitepapers in August, we're reasonable certain that we know the TjMax values for each processor now. The latest versions of Coretemp and Realtemp have been updated to reflect those values.
There was a thread about that but the link to the Intel Paper does not work...
TjMax for 45nm Intel CPUs

Old January 18, 2009, 02:11 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCB001 View Post
There was a thread about that but the link to the Intel Paper does not work...
TjMax for 45nm Intel CPUs
Here's a working link that I found on the CoreTemp homepage. I think it's the right document but I'm not sure: http://documents.irevues.inist.fr/bi...79/1/TMI23.pdf
Old January 18, 2009, 03:10 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Here's a working link that I found on the CoreTemp homepage. I think it's the right document but I'm not sure: http://documents.irevues.inist.fr/bi...79/1/TMI23.pdf
Thays a good explanation but the original one I linked had the actual tj max values listed. It seems that pdf. is no longer available. Check this article at AnandTech AnandTech
From AnandTech;
Update (8.21.2008):

45nm Desktop Dual-Core Processors
Intel Core 2 Duo processor E8000 and E7000 series - 100C

45 nm Desktop Quad-Core Processors
Intel Core 2 Quad processor Q9000 and Q8000 series - 100C
Intel Core 2 Extreme processor QX9650 - 95C
Intel Core 2 Extreme processor QX9770 - 85C