Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old January 18, 2009, 11:02 AM
Top Prospect
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 135
Default

The temp sensors in your cores don't actually give the actual temperature values. Instead, they give the distance(In degrees Celsius) to Tjmax(The temperature at which the processor will shutdown to prevent damage.) Coretemp and Realtemp get the temperature by subtracting the distance to Tjmax value from Tjmax. The problem is no one really knows what Tjmax is for any processor because Intel does not supply that specification. Realtemp uses 95C as Tjmax, whereas Coretemp uses 100C. In my opinion, 100C is more realistic for a G0 Q6600 because if I use 95C it sometimes shows my temperature 5C below my ambient temperature when I first boot up my computer in the morning. You can use whichever program you want, you just might have to change Tjmax in Realtemp to get accurate readings.

(Oops, your're not using a Q6600 Anyways, I'm not sure what values the programs are using for your processor but there is probably a similar difference.)
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old January 18, 2009, 11:27 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 88
Default

Thanks to all you guys for your help. It's not that i was really worried about the temps, especially since they seemed normal than usual. It's that i wanted to make sure that everything was working normally and accurately before i started my first overclock. I'm sure i'm not the first one to feel nervous when about to overclock for the first time. :D

Thanks again.
__________________
Motherboard: Asus Rampage Formula
CPU: Intel Quad 9450
PSU: OCZ Gamexstream 850
RAM: OCZ 4gb Platinum ddr2 800mghz
Video: Sapphire HD 5970
DIsplay: Benq 24 inch display
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old January 18, 2009, 11:55 AM
MpG's Avatar
MpG MpG is offline
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kitchener, ON
Posts: 3,136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
The temp sensors in your cores don't actually give the actual temperature values. Instead, they give the distance(In degrees Celsius) to Tjmax(The temperature at which the processor will shutdown to prevent damage.) Coretemp and Realtemp get the temperature by subtracting the distance to Tjmax value from Tjmax. The problem is no one really knows what Tjmax is for any processor because Intel does not supply that specification. Realtemp uses 95C as Tjmax, whereas Coretemp uses 100C. In my opinion, 100C is more realistic for a G0 Q6600 because if I use 95C it sometimes shows my temperature 5C below my ambient temperature when I first boot up my computer in the morning. You can use whichever program you want, you just might have to change Tjmax in Realtemp to get accurate readings.
Actually, ever since Intel released some whitepapers in August, we're reasonable certain that we know the TjMax values for each processor now. The latest versions of Coretemp and Realtemp have been updated to reflect those values.
__________________
i7 2600K | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 580GTX | Corsair DDR3-2133
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old January 18, 2009, 01:18 PM
LCB001's Avatar
Folding Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Aylmer QC.
Posts: 1,774

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Actually, ever since Intel released some whitepapers in August, we're reasonable certain that we know the TjMax values for each processor now. The latest versions of Coretemp and Realtemp have been updated to reflect those values.
There was a thread about that but the link to the Intel Paper does not work...
TjMax for 45nm Intel CPUs
__________________
Folding For Team 54196

Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old January 18, 2009, 02:11 PM
Top Prospect
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCB001 View Post
There was a thread about that but the link to the Intel Paper does not work...
TjMax for 45nm Intel CPUs
Here's a working link that I found on the CoreTemp homepage. I think it's the right document but I'm not sure: http://documents.irevues.inist.fr/bi...79/1/TMI23.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old January 18, 2009, 03:10 PM
LCB001's Avatar
Folding Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Aylmer QC.
Posts: 1,774

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Here's a working link that I found on the CoreTemp homepage. I think it's the right document but I'm not sure: http://documents.irevues.inist.fr/bi...79/1/TMI23.pdf
Thays a good explanation but the original one I linked had the actual tj max values listed. It seems that pdf. is no longer available. Check this article at AnandTech AnandTech
From AnandTech;
Update (8.21.2008):

45nm Desktop Dual-Core Processors
Intel Core 2 Duo processor E8000 and E7000 series - 100C

45 nm Desktop Quad-Core Processors
Intel Core 2 Quad processor Q9000 and Q8000 series - 100C
Intel Core 2 Extreme processor QX9650 - 95C
Intel Core 2 Extreme processor QX9770 - 85C
__________________
Folding For Team 54196

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BFG 7600GT temps.. Jake_HT Video Cards 24 January 28, 2009 05:36 PM
CPU temps vs Core temps sloth CPU's and Motherboards 13 October 19, 2008 12:34 PM
temps Kassela Troubleshooting 7 March 13, 2008 02:46 PM
GPU temps Infiniti Water Cooling 1 December 23, 2007 09:10 AM
ram temps? bushwickbill RAM 5 August 31, 2007 05:35 PM