Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 15, 2009, 06:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Core i7 heatsink

Hey guys..

I don't know much about the latest heatsinks so I need some help here.

I'm buying some new things, including the i7 920 CPU, which will be used with an Asus P6T deluxe motherboard, and from what I'm reading my current heatsink won't be enough to handle it for overclocking..

I have a Zalman 9500 right now using it in a Antec 1200 case, and the case provides fantastic ventilation.

I really like the design of the 9500 with the blue LED, and was wondering if the Zalman 9700 cooler would be enough to cool the i7 enough for a decent overclock?

How does the 9700 compare to other air heatsinks? Is the difference huge?

I know that I will have to buy an adapter to fit it, I have that part figured out already, I just need to know if this heatsink will be able to cool it fine.
I will also be getting Arctic silver 5 thermal compound to help as much as possible with the cooling.

Thanks guys.
Old January 15, 2009, 06:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

Only heatsink right now that will work properly and good for the i7 is the True 1366 edition.
Old January 15, 2009, 08:14 PM
Rookie

I have the Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 in my core i7 965. It works good.
Old January 15, 2009, 08:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah that looks like a decent option.... comes ready for LGA 1366.
Those fans are hideous though.... I'd probably swap those out
Old January 15, 2009, 09:01 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Only heatsink right now that will work properly and good for the i7 is the True 1366 edition.
not true if you can find a place to buy this ::: Zalman, leading the world of Quiet Computing Solutions :::

in Canada.
Old January 15, 2009, 09:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
not true if you can find a place to buy this ::: Zalman, leading the world of Quiet Computing Solutions :::

in Canada.
Yeah that's the clip I'd need for the 9700, called around town and nobody can get a hold of it. It's on newegg.com, but that's american! It's not on any of the cdn sites..
I even emailed newegg.ca and they pretty much said tough luck

If anyone thinks the 9700 will suffice, I'd get it in a heartbeat. Love my 9500.

I will be buying the new stuff on Saturday.
Old January 15, 2009, 10:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

From what I'm reading in the newegg clip reviews... it seems to be keeping the i7 cool with overclocks of 3.5 ghz and higher.... sounds like it's going to work? With the help of the antec 1200's 8 fans.... it should do relatively well.

EDIT: I'm looking into that TRUE... and looks great... 6 heatpipes, good reviews... Only problem is from NCIX it's not available in 1366 yet (1-2 weeks)... and it is at directcanada, but it doesn't specify if it's 1366 version...

I will be buying this stuff on sat... I guess I can use stock cooling until the TRUE becomes available.

Last edited by Jake_HT; January 15, 2009 at 11:44 PM.
Old January 16, 2009, 07:17 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I was looking around, however I guess its not available yet to us.
Zalman has the CNPS9900 (which I believe is LGA1366). It got pretty good reviews in its first Run.

Might be worth the wait?

Zalman CNPS9900 LED CPU Cooler - Page 1 of 7 - Big Bruin

Best of luck,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 16, 2009, 07:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah I was reading about that also, said 5-10 degrees better than zalmans current offerings, however I find that hard to believe considering it's essentially the same design. I couldn't find any solid info on a release date though. How much do you really think I want to wait to overclock my new i7? :)
Old January 16, 2009, 09:04 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Don't Mistake it looking the same (Rounded shape) with being the same.
The fan could have higher static Pressure, Higher CFM, the offset of the fins is different. There are a lot of subtle changes that can make each cooler act differently.
Of course, until two can get benched Side by side, it is all subjective.
And no, I wouldn't expect you to have to wait to OC lol.

Best Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com