Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 14, 2009, 12:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neolithium_Wpg View Post
TRUE with push pull is definitely a good air setup :)
Not really.. makes little difference.

I tested this as well and found simply 1 fan with good static pressure did just as good of a job as 2 fans.
Old January 14, 2009, 12:12 PM
Allstar

Noctua NF-P12 120mm Fan Review

5 degree difference with 2x vs 1x noctuas...

but I agree it isn't needed, but what is right?
Old January 14, 2009, 12:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

In that area alone there are 4 Noctua NF-P12 fans:

1 top exhaust
1 back exhaust
2 on the CPU

I agree its not needed and maybe a little overkill but that can be said of any watercooling rig.

Not here to really argue or dispute that, its more an informative piece to those who continually ask "whats the best heatsink fan combination?"

I think the TRUE using 2 x Noctua NF-P12 is undoubtly within the extreme the best and of course 1 Noctua NF-P12 will suffice as well.

I think the only downside to this setup is the expense the Noctua NF-P12 has creeped back up to the 20 dollar mark and a TRUE 120 will set you back 61 dollars so in the end its well over the 100 dollar mark.

Its not cheap, but heck its ThermalRight you get what you pay for.

EE
Old January 16, 2009, 10:29 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
In that area alone there are 4 Noctua NF-P12 fans:

1 top exhaust
1 back exhaust
2 on the CPU

I agree its not needed and maybe a little overkill but that can be said of any watercooling rig.

Not here to really argue or dispute that, its more an informative piece to those who continually ask "whats the best heatsink fan combination?"

I think the TRUE using 2 x Noctua NF-P12 is undoubtly within the extreme the best and of course 1 Noctua NF-P12 will suffice as well.

I think the only downside to this setup is the expense the Noctua NF-P12 has creeped back up to the 20 dollar mark and a TRUE 120 will set you back 61 dollars so in the end its well over the 100 dollar mark.

Its not cheap, but heck its ThermalRight you get what you pay for.

EE

didn't the vendetta 2 get very similar numbers when it was paired up with a good noctua fan? For about half the price as well. I really wanted the T.R.U.E black because it's sexy as hell, but unfortunately i can't justify it to my wallet when there's such little difference in results.
Old January 16, 2009, 11:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Most reviews use an open test bed and the results are significantly different and could not be replicated if done in closed case. Thats not to discredit the OCZ Vendetta 2 no question it is a good cpu cooler especially for those on a budget, in my case I purchased the ThermalRight Ultra 120 eXtreme many months before the release of the Vendetta 2.

By all means I'd highly recommend the OCZ Vendetta 2 as would anyone else.

EE

Last edited by Eagle Eye; January 16, 2009 at 11:59 PM.
Old January 17, 2009, 02:12 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Most reviews use an open test bed and the results are significantly different and could not be replicated if done in closed case. Thats not to discredit the OCZ Vendetta 2 no question it is a good cpu cooler especially for those on a budget, in my case I purchased the ThermalRight Ultra 120 eXtreme many months before the release of the Vendetta 2.

By all means I'd highly recommend the OCZ Vendetta 2 as would anyone else.

EE
Sorry if i came off as pretentious, i guess i'm just a bit bitter i can't afford one of my own. If i could afford it, i'd definitely get the TRUE, fits my color scheme much better than the vendetta 2 will.
RAM: OCZ 4gb Platinum ddr2 800mghz
Video: Sapphire HD 5970
DIsplay: Benq 24 inch display
Old January 17, 2009, 02:20 AM

My System Specs

I just thew a TRUE black on my 920. It is a definite improvement over the Ultima-90 I was using previously.
Old January 17, 2009, 03:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I just thew a TRUE black on my 920. It is a definite improvement over the Ultima-90 I was using previously.
Ha, I thought I was the only one using an Ultima-90. I'll be going water soon, since my case doesn't support large heatsinks..
Old January 17, 2009, 11:46 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Yeah corny title I know,

Tonight I retired the Sunbeam Core Contact in place of a ThermalRight Ultra 120 eXtreme push/pull config with 2 x Noctua NF-P12. Temps are way down about 8-10 degrees across all cores running the same test in the picture. The added fan and likely overall better cooler is a direct results of this, while the Sunbeam is an excellent cooler I think my setup, a poorly ventilated Antec P182 and the lack of additional airflow makes it an unsuitable heatsink for my system. Open cases results are even better temps drop even more about 5-7oC across all cores and idle temps while downclocked to 2.7GHz run near ambient at 23oC not too shabby, although it has been a little chilly here in Toronto.

So anyone out there looking for the ultimate in cpu cooling albeit the most expensive as it goes the ThermalRight Ultra120 eXtreme coupled with 2 x Noctua NF-P12's is where its at.

That's a prime air-cooling setup, in my opinion. I had a TRUE a few months ago and also experimented with one and two Noctua's mounted on it, temps were great and the Noctua's are super-smooth and quiet. I sold the TRUE to a friend who needed a good heatsink and decided to try Noctua's own cpu heatsink, also been very pleased with it, the mounting system is somewhat easier to work with and doesn't require any washer mods to fit tight. However, I would say the TRUE was good for a 2-3 degree improvement in temps compared to the Noctua. Due to the Thermalright mosfet sinks I fitted to my P5Q-Pro, I can't fit two fans to the heatsink because the second fan doesn't clear the mosfet sink. The temps are still very good, but I have to agree that a TRUE is still one of the best options, along with the Noctua fans, and worth the cost.
4G GSkill DDR3 2000 Ripjaws
Asus P7P55D-Pro
2x EVGA GTX275 in SLI
PC P&C 750 Silencer
Cuda 500
Antec 902
W7 64 RTM