Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 13, 2009, 08:11 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Very very small amount of rubbing alcohol on a cloth to get it off of both. Be very careful doing this if the processor is seated on the MB still. And the cloth you use has to be a type that doesn't leave little fluffs (i.e. ones to clean sunglasses/regular glasses).

That should do the trick, and I personally love the OCZ Freeze, but everyones got different tastes. Its nice because it doesn't have a curing time, and performed 1 degree better than the last version from OCZ.

Good Luck,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 13, 2009, 08:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by element291 View Post
Thanks for the help so far guys!
I have a few more questions.

Is there any of the isopropyl alcohol in small amounts for sale on sites like ncix or tigerdirect?
Go to your corner drug store, or a Shoppers. Both should have it, depending on the area your in it may be on the counter, or behind it. I've never had to ask for it, as I've always seen it just siting out, but apparently in areas with high drug issues it can be hard to get the stuff, even when you ask for it.

If its behind the counter, and they ask why you need it, tell them the truth! Just explain that it makes for a great electronics cleaner, and you need some as your reseating a processor. It will just sound like jargon to them, but hopefully they understand your not going to be using it to make drugs.
Old January 13, 2009, 08:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd stick with Air Cooling unless your going to start pushing high Numbers.

Coolit has some neat all in one kits that don't require much thought to install them if you so change your mind down the road.
But building your own kit has its own advantages too.

Everything depends on the application and what you intend to do.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 13, 2009, 08:17 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Thanks for the help so far guys!
I have a few more questions.

Is there any of the isopropyl alcohol in small amounts for sale on sites like ncix or tigerdirect?

nvm with question above. Found some arctic silver - arctic clean on direct can.

Would buying a watercooling kit be a good road to go down? (I have $400 sitting on my paypal accnt)

What temperatures should I see if I go with the OCZ Freeze and remove the current paste?

Thanks in advanced.
Go to your local Shoppers Drug Mart for the Isopropyl alcohol. Or better still - its cheaper in Walmart Pharmacy. Do a proper installation of the CPU Cooler and try to check again. I use Lavalys Everest to check my temps. How many fans do you have on the P180 case ? You should be able to fine tune your system. What make is the CPU cooler ?
Old January 13, 2009, 08:18 PM
Allstar

Thanks for all the tips! :P Being that my GPU temp is so high I bought an arctic cooling vga cooler and also bought a few extra fans.

Hopefully this OCZ Freeze, Fan, and VGA cooler make this puppy run cooler. All those temps that i listed earlier in the thread were with the side off too btw.

| ASUS P8Z68-VPRO | Intel i5 2500K | 8Gb Patriot Viper Xtreme | 2x 60gb OCZ Solid 3 SSD | EVGA GTX260 Core216 |

Last edited by element291; January 13, 2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old January 13, 2009, 09:07 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malam View Post
How many fans do you have on the P180 case ? You should be able to fine tune your system. What make is the CPU cooler ?
I have 2 atm and am adding another one soon. I have the Gelid Silent Spirit Cooler. I have a brand new Zalman CNPS8700 sitting here still in the box... Should I use it instead?

Thanks.

| ASUS P8Z68-VPRO | Intel i5 2500K | 8Gb Patriot Viper Xtreme | 2x 60gb OCZ Solid 3 SSD | EVGA GTX260 Core216 |

Old January 13, 2009, 09:30 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
I have 2 atm and am adding another one soon. I have the Gelid Silent Spirit Cooler. I have a brand new Zalman CNPS8700 sitting here still in the box... Should I use it instead?

Thanks.
The Gelid Cooler is ok, but the Zalman is by far the superior unit. I would recoment the Zalman for its design and the fact that it is a bolt through. The problem is, you will have to remove your motherboard to install the Zalman - but you'll appreciate the difference.

You can add a case fan to the front of the middle hard drive carriage to bring in cool air in the P180 case. I moved my three drives into the lower cage to allow the fan to bring in cool air into the case.
Old January 13, 2009, 11:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Boourns Zalman, lots of flash little substance

OCZ Vendetta 2 and this XIGMATEK
ThermalRight Ultra 120 eXtreme with a Noctua NF-P12 for the ultimate in cooling performance similiar to this

TRUE 120 + Noctua NF-P12 x 2

Open case temps at full load are 53oC running 4 instances of Prime95 on Q9550 @ 3.8GHz with 1.4v
Attached Images

Old January 14, 2009, 06:14 AM
Allstar

I have the vendetta 2 on the way to my place. Express shipping from ncix! :)

Old January 14, 2009, 12:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Great choice element you won't be disappointed!!

Did you get the bolt-thru kit to?

EE