Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 10, 2009, 06:34 PM
Top Prospect

Default Question about Noctua NH U12P SE 1366 (Nickel plate, installing both fans issue)

I heard that this CPU heatsink has nickel covered the copper plate.
As far as I know copper is better for heat transferring. Is it safe to kill the nickel plate in order to unveil the copper plate beneath? How can I do this? I don't think just by scratching it with sandpaper would do it safely.

Using EVGA X58, I can only mount one by default. The VREG heatsink is in the way but I think I can squeeze the second fan with some tweaking. I might have to knock off some of the plastic on the fan. Has anybody tried this?

Thanks.
Old January 10, 2009, 08:28 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I wouldn't worry about knocking the Nickel Plating off the Bottom Plate. Its thickness is probably in the less than mm range, so its impact on the overall cooling potential should be negligable. Probably a better idea to keep it as it is, then file it off and potentially ruin the contact surface. Unless you have the tools to really polish and smooth the layer underneath.

My thoughts,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 12, 2009, 01:29 PM
Top Prospect

The plating was supposed to be an enhancement (I am not sure what it was supposed to correct or enhance). However, I agree with the previous post. I have the same CPU cooler and its working very well. I suggest you install it as is, and see if it meets your needs. I have only one fan installed with mine and its sufficient. Don't mess with it.
Old January 12, 2009, 01:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

Copper exposed to air will oxidize hence why they nickel plate it.
Old January 13, 2009, 03:22 AM
Top Prospect

I finally settled down @3.95GHZ (with turbo on) using Core i7 920.
I installed two fans for Noctua NH U12P SE 1366 (fans running 1090RPM)
I read a review of Thermalright True Ultra for 1366 and in that article the author claimed that It's running @4.0GHZ with only around 55C at full load and around 35~40C at idle. When I run stress test like Prime 95 it almost goes up to 80C(Avg Core Temp). At idle it's about 45(Avg Core Temp). So I tried different thermal paste application methods but the results are the same. Anyone else using the same heatink or Thermalright True Ultra 1366? How hot are your cores temperature?
Old January 13, 2009, 12:44 PM
Top Prospect

Two quick things you should check. (1) Make sure that the direction of the two fans are such that air is moved in from the from fan and out of the rear fan. (2) You may need to tweak the air movement in your case also. If all the hot air is still trapped in your case it will not help. what is your case (or motherboard) temperature ?

You may want to get your cooling running fine with the default clock speed before you start to overclock.

The Noctua fan should be running at 1300 rpm+, I have three of them and they run at 1336 on the average. Check to see why yours is running at 1090rpm.