Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 24, 2008, 08:15 PM

My System Specs

Default help me solve my videocard cooling issues. *PIC*

As you can see, I have a problem.

I am more worried about the Sapphire 4870 (red one) as it really has no where to pull air from. The Palit 4870's (black one obviously ) fans aren't completely covered so I think it may be better off. Is there any low-profile heatsink out there that can handle a 4870 and half room to breathe, or an I pretty much effed?
Old December 24, 2008, 08:28 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Thermalright HR-03 GT? Fits a 4870 and you can flip it over to the high side of the card for more room. If that doesnt work, you cant also try the tRad from them as well.
Old December 24, 2008, 08:32 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Thermalright HR-03 GT? Fits a 4870 and you can flip it over to the high side of the card for more room. If that doesnt work, you cant also try the tRad from them as well.
I have a card directly below the 4870 as well though. So I don't think the HR-03 GT will fit. And the TRad2 is a double slot cooler, unless passive. And I don't think it will cool a 4870 without a fan.
Old December 24, 2008, 08:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Watercool it all!
Old December 24, 2008, 08:37 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

What card is above it? I have a HR-03 GT on my 3850, and it wraps around my TV tuner card in my HTPC And runs passive... Still no other way?
Old December 24, 2008, 08:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

The cards are both 4870's, right? What about switching them? It wouldn't solve the problem, but the Palit might do better than the Sapphire in those circumstances.

How about this cooler? Depending on your case's airflow, you might still come out ahead, even without actually attaching a fan to it.
Old December 24, 2008, 09:04 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Watercool it all!
definitely not. I am done with water for good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
What card is above it? I have a HR-03 GT on my 3850, and it wraps around my TV tuner card in my HTPC And runs passive... Still no other way?
There is/will be a RAID card and sound card above it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
The cards are both 4870's, right? What about switching them? It wouldn't solve the problem, but the Palit might do better than the Sapphire in those circumstances.

How about this cooler? Depending on your case's airflow, you might still come out ahead, even without actually attaching a fan to it.
Actually if i swap them, the Palit would die a horrible death. It is 3-4mm higher it is nearly touching the card above it.

I actually had a TRad2 ordered today, but removed it because I didn't think it would work passively. Maybe I'll order it and see if it is possible. Although I have my doubts if it be able to handle it.

I could also put the one videocard in the very last PCIe 16x slot however I haven't found a longer crossfire cable for sale anywhere.
Old December 24, 2008, 09:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

It's surprising what those aftermarket coolers can do passively. You may not brag about the temps, but the card will be more than happy. I ran my 8800 GTS 640 on air for a while, using an HR-03 cooler "passively". The intake fan on the Sonata III case basically blew at the card/cooler, and kept temperature more than acceptable. Just a thought.
Old December 24, 2008, 10:34 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I'm not sure what case you're using..so I don't know how much space is between the end of the card and the case. I read a review of the Scythe Musashi Cooler on HardwareLogic and it seems pretty good.

Here's a link: http://www.hardwarelogic.com/news/13...008-12-22.html
Old December 24, 2008, 11:36 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launcherstrike View Post
I'm not sure what case you're using..so I don't know how much space is between the end of the card and the case. I read a review of the Scythe Musashi Cooler on HardwareLogic and it seems pretty good.

Here's a link: http://www.hardwarelogic.com/news/13...008-12-22.html
Looks to be slightly wider than that stock heatsink, so that would be a no go.