Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old December 22, 2008, 06:35 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 109
Default Just got Noctua NH U12P 1366

Just installed this heat sink.
I mounted the fan on the heat sink and was wondering which side of the fan I should put against the heatsink. I took two pictures but don't know how to include them here.
How much temperature is this heat sink supposed to drop? I used to use stock heat sink for Core i7 920. Please let me know. Thank you. It was around 30C before installing it and now it's around 25C for me.
Attached Images
   

Last edited by appplejack; December 22, 2008 at 06:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old December 22, 2008, 06:48 PM
SugarJ's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Langley, BC
Posts: 6,075

My System Specs

Default

The side of the fan with the bars goes against the heatsink. That will push air through the HSF.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old December 22, 2008, 06:50 PM
sswilson's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 14,474

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by appplejack View Post
Just installed this heat sink.
I mounted the fan on the heat sink and was wondering which side of the fan I should put against the heatsink. I took two pictures but don't know how to include them here.
How much temperature is this heat sink supposed to drop? I used to use stock heat sink for Core i7 920. Please let me know. Thank you. It was around 30C before installing it and now it's around 25C for me.
Is that at idle? If so it sounds about right. You're never going to get better than ambient, and even the best air coolers won't do that.

Aftermarket coolers start doing their best work once you throw a load on them.
__________________
MSI Z87I Gaming AC / i5 4670K / 2X 4G Gskill 1866 DDR3 / XFX XTR 750 / EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB / Intel DC S3700 200G / random 160G Sata HDD
Inwin 904 / Swiftech MCP655-b / Alphacool NexXxos XT45 120 Rad / 2X Scythe GT AP-15 / EK Supreme HF / Dell UltraSharp U2412M

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old December 22, 2008, 07:00 PM
Babrbarossa's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Brunswick
Posts: 3,673

My System Specs

Default

Yeah- like steve said-, run a stress test and see what the load temps are- that will be the greatest drop from stock cooling.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old December 22, 2008, 07:01 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 109
Default

There I just uploaded ths images. I thought the arrows on the fan indicate the air flow so that's how I installed in my system.
As for the temperature.
It was around 23 as soon as installed and checked the Health Status at BIOS.
I've been running it in Vista X64 Ultimate for about an hour and the CPU temperature is fluctuating between 26 and 29.
The system temperature is 34.
I'm goolgling for stress test. You guys got any recommendation?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old December 22, 2008, 07:24 PM
JD's Avatar
JD JD is offline
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 6,891

My System Specs

Default

Prime 95 is a classic, also OCCT. Could use IntelBurnTest even. They all put large amounts of load on the CPU.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old December 22, 2008, 07:42 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 109
Default

Thanks. I've been running Prime 95 for awhile tonight without any overclocking. The CPU temp is 42C and System temp is going between 31 and 32. I'm going to overclock the CPU after reading some threads here and there to be more accurate. What's your recommended CPU and System temperature after overclocking?
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old December 23, 2008, 09:44 AM
Eagle Eye's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kleinburg, ON
Posts: 2,069

My System Specs

Default

Do you have a the dual fan setup on that? Maybe we could get shot from a bit of distance, I love noctua and probably would have gone with the LGA775 version had Thermalright not been around.

EE
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old December 23, 2008, 04:33 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 109
Default

I have EVGA 58 mainboard. There's a main board heat sink near the cpu. I think I can put another fan but I might have to trim the plastic in order to make it fit. Got any other idea? I don't know if it is a good idea though.
I will upload more shots tomorrow.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old December 23, 2008, 04:45 PM
sswilson's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 14,474

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
The side of the fan with the bars goes against the heatsink. That will push air through the HSF.
Not always true... I've got some that don't work that way. Apparently there isn't an industry standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by appplejack View Post
There I just uploaded ths images. I thought the arrows on the fan indicate the air flow so that's how I installed in my system.
As for the temperature.
It was around 23 as soon as installed and checked the Health Status at BIOS.
I've been running it in Vista X64 Ultimate for about an hour and the CPU temperature is fluctuating between 26 and 29.
The system temperature is 34.
I'm goolgling for stress test. You guys got any recommendation?

Thanks
Yep, go by the airflow indication on the fan body.
__________________
MSI Z87I Gaming AC / i5 4670K / 2X 4G Gskill 1866 DDR3 / XFX XTR 750 / EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB / Intel DC S3700 200G / random 160G Sata HDD
Inwin 904 / Swiftech MCP655-b / Alphacool NexXxos XT45 120 Rad / 2X Scythe GT AP-15 / EK Supreme HF / Dell UltraSharp U2412M

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buy LGA 775 or go with LGA 1366? HermesĄ˘ New Builds 9 November 28, 2008 08:30 AM
Noctua NH-U12P CPU Cooler Review comment thread AkG Air Cooling 8 May 27, 2008 04:34 PM
Noctua NH-U12P Heatpipe CPU Cooler Hardware Canucks Air Cooling 0 May 5, 2008 12:32 PM
Noctua-News: Noctua introduces NH-U9B CPU cooler Scotch Tape Press Releases & Tech News 1 February 25, 2008 06:33 AM