Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 23, 2008, 05:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Not always true... I've got some that don't work that way. Apparently there isn't an industry standard.

Yep, go by the airflow indication on the fan body.
I have found the odd fan that doesn't conform to standers but not in awhile they were all 80mm, I just look at the curve of the fin
Old December 23, 2008, 06:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
The side of the fan with the bars goes against the heatsink. That will push air through the HSF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Not always true... I've got some that don't work that way. Apparently there isn't an industry standard.
So, I was right in this case, but I can't always expect to be right. If I had known the noctua's had arrows on them(my answer went up before the photos), I would have just pointed.
Old December 24, 2008, 09:02 AM
Top Prospect

I have the same unit, and you've installed it correctly. You should also check to make sure that you increase the speed of any case fan at the back your case to at least the same speed or higher than the Noctua. This will ensure that whatever is coming out of the noctua is exhausted right away.

I ran the Stability test (CPU stress test) of Everest for 12 hours (CPU @3.2G) and the maximum that I got was 41C. As I am typing now, my idle is sitting at 26C with the motheboard at 23C - I have 20C in the room.
Old December 25, 2008, 08:38 PM
Top Prospect

Thanks. How can check the fan speed and change the heat sink fan accordingly?
I got two fans in the case - one on the rear and the other one at the top.
Old December 26, 2008, 09:21 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by appplejack View Post
Thanks. How can check the fan speed and change the heat sink fan accordingly?
I got two fans in the case - one on the rear and the other one at the top.
I have the Noctua fan running at the default max (1366 rpm). I have a fan controller on the other fans and can adjust their speed. If you don't have a controller, you should allow the rear and the top fan to just run at their max speed. Usually those fans run at 1200 - 1500 rpm. What type of case do you have?
Old December 26, 2008, 01:21 PM
Top Prospect

I got Antec P182. There are fan speed controllers at the back.
I set them at low speed but the temperature of CPU, Vreg, and system seem to be ok.
On full load the CPU almost never goes above 50C.
I overclocked it up to 3.8GHZ
Now that I got a new heat sink, I'm going to sell the stock CPU heat sink.
What might be a good price for this? It's been only 2 weeks since I built my computer.
Thanks for the answer on heat sink.

Last edited by appplejack; December 26, 2008 at 01:27 PM.
Old December 26, 2008, 03:52 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by appplejack View Post
I got Antec P182. There are fan speed controllers at the back.
I set them at low speed but the temperature of CPU, Vreg, and system seem to be ok.
On full load the CPU almost never goes above 50C.
I overclocked it up to 3.8GHZ
Now that I got a new heat sink, I'm going to sell the stock CPU heat sink.
What might be a good price for this? It's been only 2 weeks since I built my computer.
Thanks for the answer on heat sink.

Thats cool ! I am not sure of how much you can get for a stock heat sink since it alwys comes free with a CPU. Try and see what offers you get.