Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

View Poll Results: What type of Noctua would you like see?
Black Casing and Black Fins 14 34.15%
2 Tone effect: Black Casing Dark Grey Fins 20 48.78%
2 Tone effect: Black Casing Burgandy Fins 3 7.32%
Change nothing I like them the way they are. 4 9.76%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 25, 2008, 11:26 PM
Top Prospect

Interesting poll. As a Noctua cooler and fan owner, I went with the black/grey scheme. Although the colour(s) are a very subjective opinion. They have nothing to do with a fan's performance, noise level, or quality of construction.
Having used several Noctua fans for a couple of years now, I still find the Noctua colour scheme to be weird. Yet a totally black fan now seems boring and reminds me of the inexpensive stock fans that are pre-mounted in many cases. I guess black/grey would be a good compromise...................
4G GSkill DDR3 2000 Ripjaws
Asus P7P55D-Pro
2x EVGA GTX275 in SLI
PC P&C 750 Silencer
Cuda 500
Antec 902
W7 64 RTM
Old January 12, 2009, 11:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks retro, alot what you said was similiar to the repsonse I recieved from Noctua regarding my intial question about colour. The black on black colour scheme is indeed a reminder of the cheap stock fans out there and thats exactly why Noctuas are so different from everyone else. The purpose of this thread was simply to gather some idea of what people might want if Noctua was to release a different colour fan and not suprisingly the black on Grey theme won out and its just one of the themes I suggested that be released as part of say, a limited edition series from Noctua. To my surprise it actually spiked the interest of the fellow that I was communicating with, however nothing more transpired from that point and I haven't heard from them since. We'll only have to wait and see, if they do ever release something I will probably be just as shocked as everyone else.

I'll be first in line for a set black on grey noctuas and as you said it would be a good compromise.

EE

Last edited by Eagle Eye; January 12, 2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old January 12, 2009, 11:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

quick question, does painting the fans effect their performance?
Old January 12, 2009, 11:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think under pretty accurate testing that painting a fan manually could affect their performance, however I don't think it would have any adverse affect it would probably be very marginal. I am sure Noctua would have a few things to say about it given their methods of application, manufacturing and testing.

Send them of an e-mail Phobia they might be able to give you a better explanation.

EE
Old January 12, 2009, 11:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

good idea, i will.. thanks. I never think of asking the actual manufacturing company :P for whatever reason i get it in my mind that companies don't care for the individual (well a lot of big ones don't.. aka microsoft!) and won't respond back
Old January 13, 2009, 01:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Don't ever be hesistant to ask any company ofcourse asking in a intellectual and professional manner is key it really determines what kind of response you might get if any. You're right though larger companies might be difficult to get more than just an automated response I think asking the "right" question the manner in which you ask it.

EE
Old January 13, 2009, 08:14 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
Thanks retro, alot what you said was similiar to the repsonse I recieved from Noctua regarding my intial question about colour. The black on black colour scheme is indeed a reminder of the cheap stock fans out there and thats exactly why Noctuas are so different from everyone else. The purpose of this thread was simply to gather some idea of what people might want if Noctua was to release a different colour fan and not suprisingly the black on Grey theme won out and its just one of the themes I suggested that be released as part of say, a limited edition series from Noctua. To my surprise it actually spiked the interest of the fellow that I was communicating with, however nothing more transpired from that point and I haven't heard from them since. We'll only have to wait and see, if they do ever release something I will probably be just as shocked as everyone else.

I'll be first in line for a set black on grey noctuas and as you said it would be a good compromise.

EE
I'm sure that Noctua has received a lot of flak over their colour scheme, and it's interesting to see what Noctua has to say about an alternative. I will still continue to use their fans regardless, although I do not limit myself to that brand only. I also found that the NF-P12 worked quite well with the Thermalright HR-03 series heatsinks.

A bit off topic, but speaking of HR-03's, I posted an update to the Thermalright HR-03GTX situation. As I'm sure you knew, they finally started to ship them to Canada last month. You were right in pointing out Anitec as a source, I purchased one from them at Xmas. And now NCIX finally has stock.

Just in time for winter
4G GSkill DDR3 2000 Ripjaws
Asus P7P55D-Pro
2x EVGA GTX275 in SLI
PC P&C 750 Silencer
Cuda 500
Antec 902
W7 64 RTM

Last edited by Retro; January 13, 2009 at 08:20 PM.
Old January 13, 2009, 11:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am pretty Noctua exclusive no fan can compare to just how quiet and affective they are at keepings things cool.

Awesome!! you'll have one before me , just as soon as I can afford to pick one up I'll post my results.

EE
Old January 14, 2009, 07:47 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia View Post
quick question, does painting the fans effect their performance?
Well like I said, I didn't use paint, I used vinyl die which in theory soaks into the plastic. It definitely didn't leave a thick layer ontop of everything like normal paint would but it's a very, very thin layer which can still peel off if scratched with a screw driver or those metal fan clips. Doesn't scratch with your fingernail though.

Overall though doing some subjective testing while I "painted" them, compared to the non-painted one they sounded identical and the airflow felt the same.
Old January 14, 2009, 12:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am hard pressed to believe that Noctua Fans in any shape or form are porous, for that to work the vinly dye would need a chemical(acid) to alter the plastic which would allow the dye to penetrate. Though now that I think about there might some truth to that theory of yours if you were to remove all the vinyl dye its likely that some would remain in the plastic especially around the frame.

EE

Last edited by Eagle Eye; January 14, 2009 at 12:57 PM.