Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 19, 2008, 11:36 AM
Top Prospect

Default Hardware Monitoring - What's correct.

I would like to start a discussion on Hardware Monitoring. There are bits and pieces of this subject in a few posts, but I think we should have a sticky about the subject. A lot of the discussion in this forum deals with temperatures and voltages of motherboards, cases, cpu, gpu and others.

Over the last few days, I have tried - a number of utilities - Asus Probe, Hardware Monitor, Everest, SpeedFan and ReakTemp to check my CPU temperatures. The readings are all over the place! There is really no agreement with these utilities. Frankly, I don't know which to trust ! Please post your opinions on any of these utilities and why you think the readings that you are getting can be trusted.
Old December 19, 2008, 11:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

Coretemp for 65nm
Realtemp for 45nm

That is all you need and should trust.
Old December 19, 2008, 02:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Coretemp for 65nm
Realtemp for 45nm

That is all you need and should trust.
Agreed, there really isn't anything better when it comes to monitoring your CPU temps. These will give you the closest/best way to currently obtain the true temp of your CPU, short of using a proble into the HS anyways.
Old December 19, 2008, 04:01 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I like RealTemp. for general temperature readings i use hwmonitor (mobo, gpu, etc).

Old December 19, 2008, 07:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I use realtemp for my E2180 cause core temp and real temps give me the exact readings. I really like how you can change the color of the readings

HD tune for harddrive testing
GPUZ for gpu

And also have speedfan when i want to see all specs instead of the crappy asus probe that came with it
Old December 19, 2008, 08:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Agreed, there really isn't anything better when it comes to monitoring your CPU temps. These will give you the closest/best way to currently obtain the true temp of your CPU, short of using a proble into the HS anyways.
I run 4 probes in various places , I find they are always a few degrees off. I find it easier to have coretemp load and minimize at startup, If I want to know any other temps I open HWMonitor.
For voltage, multimeter for the 12v and again HWMonitor for the cpu and vdimm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old December 20, 2008, 05:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Everest and real temp give me the same results. I use everest simply because it monitors everything else.
Old December 21, 2008, 08:53 AM
Top Prospect

I've decided to stay with Everest too. I think once you establish a base for your system, and you are satisfied that your cooling system is working, it should be easy to monitor the status of your system. As long as you do not notice any unusual increases you are ok. The threashold of each system will be different, however, it is helpful to check if you are within the same range of temperatures as someone else with a similar build.

I have been running the stability test in Everest for 12 hours to establish a range of upper limits for my system. For what its worth, here they are:

System Info:

Motherboard: ASUS P5QL-E
CPU: Intel Duo Core E8400 @3.2G
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P
Memory Modules: 2 X OCZ Reaper OCZ2RPR10662G
Video Card: ASUS ATI H4670
PSU: Cosair HX620W
Disk Drives: 1x Hitachi 500g SATA and 2 x WDC 500G SATA
CDROM: 1 x Plextor PX820 and 1X Samsung SH-S203
Case: Antec P180 ( 3 Case Fans)

Everest 4.62 Readings:

Motherboard @ Idle: 25C
CPU - Idle 26C ; Max during Stability Test - 41C (CPU @3.2G)
CPU Core 1: 29C ; Core 2 : 34C (at Idle with CPU @ 2.2G)
Core Temps during Stability Test - Core 1 Max 43C Core 2 Max 42C

I will like to compare these numbers with a similar built system.