Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 17, 2008, 07:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default The little Engine that could....errr Fan!

Masscool 8WA741 Socket 775 Copper CoreHeatpipes CPU Cooling Fan in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

This is my CPU Cooler Currently. Long story short, it was on sale for 17.99, I was strapped for cash, and this was one of the last pieces for this original Apollo build.

Oh yes , I already know its a piece of Junk lol compared to whats out there.
However, that being said...

Before I came here, I never folded.
I also never OC'd or Ran my system beyond its 50% load Mark on both cores.

Well, so I came here and now I am folding. The biggest shocker is on my stock 8400, with close to max (when I load WoW while Folding CPU/GPU I hit that magic number).
And I am not breaking 41-42.
Its the little engine that could for me.
Just thought I'd share.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 17, 2008, 07:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Masscool 8WA741 Socket 775 Copper CoreHeatpipes CPU Cooling Fan in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

This is my CPU Cooler Currently. Long story short, it was on sale for 17.99, I was strapped for cash, and this was one of the last pieces for this original Apollo build.

Oh yes , I already know its a piece of Junk lol compared to whats out there.
However, that being said...

Before I came here, I never folded.
I also never OC'd or Ran my system beyond its 50% load Mark on both cores.

Well, so I came here and now I am folding. The biggest shocker is on my stock 8400, with close to max (when I load WoW while Folding CPU/GPU I hit that magic number).
And I am not breaking 41-42.
Its the little engine that could for me.
Just thought I'd share.

ST
When you play a game while folding the folding pretty loses all priority and will almost go idle.

Run a Prime95 test with Small FFT and then see what they are.
Old December 17, 2008, 07:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Thats wierd, because it clocks my load at 98-99% when I start playing a game.

I have the log running and everything.
Unless the log is buggered. I think I have enough computing headroom that the Game just takes the remaing room left.
I could be wrong though.
After all, I make practically the same progress gaming or idle on FOlding.

I did run the Intel Thermal Analysis Tool on here at 100% on both cores and never peaked past 45.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old December 17, 2008, 07:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Thats wierd, because it clocks my load at 98-99% when I start playing a game.

I have the log running and everything.
Unless the log is buggered. I think I have enough computing headroom that the Game just takes the remaing room left.
I could be wrong though.
After all, I make practically the same progress gaming or idle on FOlding.

I did run the Intel Thermal Analysis Tool on here at 100% on both cores and never peaked past 45.

ST
Not the Intel one; Prime95

And if they never go over 45 something is wrong.
Old December 17, 2008, 08:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post

Okie dokie, I'll finish my work units and Give Prime95 A shot on this.
Temps should be fairly accurate I'd think . CoreTemp / RealTemp are a degree apart. But I'll give it a shot.

P.S. Stop stalking my posts lol

ST

Old December 17, 2008, 08:28 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

Paused Work Units and in the process of Running Prime95 , I selected Stress Test , and ran Small FFT, what other settings do I need to select to max it out?
I've got;

CoreTemp Showing : Core0 @ 59
Core 1 @ 58

RealTemp Showing : Core0 @ 60
Core 1 @ 59

Am I missing something else in this test?

ST

Old December 17, 2008, 08:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

That realistic.

That 41 is then idle ;)

So in theory you bought something to be different and could have gotten the vendetta 2 or xigamtek ;)
Old December 17, 2008, 08:32 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Paused Work Units and in the process of Running Prime95 , I selected Stress Test , and ran Small FFT, what other settings do I need to select to max it out?
I've got;

CoreTemp Showing : Core0 @ 59
Core 1 @ 58

RealTemp Showing : Core0 @ 60
Core 1 @ 59

Am I missing something else in this test?

ST
That's how you run it and those temps seem much more "normal" so to speak, though still seems a bit on the low side considering the quality of that CPU HSF.

However you should let it run for at least 30 min, though preferably more until the temperatures hit their peak and stay steady.
Old December 17, 2008, 08:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
That realistic.

That 41 is then idle ;)

So in theory you bought something to be different and could have gotten the vendetta 2 or xigamtek ;)

You missed the part that I was on a budget if you say get the Vendetta or Xigamatek.
Thats okay though lol. Anywho, so Running the Two Folding Programs means my temps are wrong?(still somewhat confused).

I wasn't being different, just no-frills kinda impulse buy. Ya know? Have every other part at home, want to get the damn thing running and this is the last piece.
I didn't do much review reading back then either.
And I never OC'd so...

Anywho, thanks for the new test, the correction. I'll run Prime95 overnight, if it hits my max Alarm Temp it'll power down and log, so lets see what happens.

ST

Old December 17, 2008, 08:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
You missed the part that I was on a budget if you say get the Vendetta or Xigamatek.
Thats okay though lol. Anywho, so Running the Two Folding Programs means my temps are wrong?(still somewhat confused).

I wasn't being different, just no-frills kinda impulse buy. Ya know? Have every other part at home, want to get the damn thing running and this is the last piece.
I didn't do much review reading back then either.
And I never OC'd so...

Anywho, thanks for the new test, the correction. I'll run Prime95 overnight, if it hits my max Alarm Temp it'll power down and log, so lets see what happens.

ST
According to the website you paid $34.99 for this so I'm assuming it came over $40 with taxes and possible shipping.

You could have gotten the V2 or Xiga for less than that and had a better HSF so I'm not sure where budget comes into this :)

No running the two folding programs simply means its not stressing out your CPUs as much as you thought ;)