Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 15, 2008, 08:48 AM
Top Prospect

Post Best hsf for e8400 !?

Hey guys ! I would like to know which hsf you would recommend for a E8400 cpu ! I've been away for a little while, so I'm a little unaware of any new comers. Still, I'm having an eye on the vendetta 2, but I wanna know about any other good options. By the way, you have to know it will be fitted in a nine hundred case.

Thanks in advance.
8 Gig Gskill pc2 8000 4x2gig
HIS HD4870X2
BenQ V2400W monitor
Pc power and cooling quad 750
Cooler Master Stacker 830

Old December 15, 2008, 09:23 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Hi Craig,

There are many Coolers out there that sit in the top spots.
That being said there are a lot of varied opinions as well.
So, I'm going to stick with the one that I have my eye on for a friends build, and a secondary build for myself.

The Apack ZeroTherm FZ120. Many reviews out there show this little guys is actually quite good at what it does.
Now, it might not compete with the Vendetta for overall Best, but its up there, its fairly cheap, and you can set it up for Push/Pull as well (I think using clips, not 100%).

Of course, there is also the Thermalright Ultra 120 that would do you no wrong for that CPU.
It all depends on buget, if you are OC'ing , and the room inside your case!

Good luck,
Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 15, 2008, 09:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I would say the best for overclocking, with great heat disspiation is either the Vendetta2 or the Ximatec (sorry dont remeber the full name). You could by a more efficient/silent fan to replace the stcok fan on the vendetta, but I personnaly found that the stock fan was doing a good job.

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....

Last edited by matsta31; December 15, 2008 at 12:15 PM.
Old December 15, 2008, 09:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The OCZ is a great HSF. Another option, while practically the same thing would be the Xigmatek S-1283. Great Price/Performance!
Old December 15, 2008, 06:52 PM
Top Prospect

I considered the Vendetta 2 but did not like the push pins and the fan. I read the reviews about other units but I settled for the Noctua NH-U12P instead. I have the same CPU and my case is Antec P180. You`ll love the Noctua unit.
Old December 15, 2008, 06:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
Another option, while practically the same thing would be the Xigmatek S-1283. Great Price/Performance!
I agree, the Xigmatek is a great HSF. In fact, I have it in my brother's rig with an E6750 OCed to 3.6 and its folding 24/7, but Realtemp reported that it never went over 37C, even with folding and gaming.

Oh, and I'm using the push pins. They actually aren't as bad as people say it is. Its just the Intel stock cooler that has a horrible push pin system. (Not aligned properly, perhaps?)
Old December 15, 2008, 07:46 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I think you can get a Backplate (Crossbow?) if your willing to snap off the Pushpins on those coolers and bolt it through instead.

Good luck,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 16, 2008, 12:52 PM
MVP

My System Specs

the thermalright bolt thru works with the xigmatek, with xigmatek's bolt thru kit they give you the thing to put on the hsf (aka the push pins already removed for you).

Old December 16, 2008, 01:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'd say the OCZ Vendetta 2 for the best bang for buck. I got one on my E7200 and temps never went past 55C under OCCT.
Old December 16, 2008, 04:54 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

The OCZ Vendetta 2 and Xigmatek S1238 are both good choices. I went with the Xigmatek on my new build because the OCZ was backorder for an indefinite amount of time at NCIX, and I'm not going to wait 3 weeks to build my computer while every other component sits in boxes next to my desk. I've got it in front of me on my desk now, the top fin does seem a little flimsy but it's not about to fall off unless you try to pick up the HSF by the top fin or something. I hear the pushpins on the Xigmatek are better that most HSFs(Well, as good as pushpins can get.) Nonetheless, I still got a bolt through kit as it seems to me that it will be more stable.