Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 12, 2008, 07:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default When You Just need to know...

...The CFM. Don't debate it,

MEASURE IT!!! Showed me that the #'s one Company Posted were accurate, and the other must have been having a bad day....
Attached Images

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 12, 2008, 07:11 PM
Top Prospect

A sweet unit to have on hand. Is the measuring end of the unit teh same size as a 120mm fan or bigger or smaller? BTW how much does it cost?
Old December 12, 2008, 07:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Its standard 120mm but The other case (which my co-worked has) comes with cone Adapters. I can't remember off hand what size they scale up to.

Depending on where you look 200-400 roughly. Although some pocket sized ones are in the 80's.

It is used for things non-computer related, but heck, it works just as good for measuring Fans!!!

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old December 12, 2008, 07:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

Take note that those kind of meters aren't infallible when measuring fans at close range. SPCR used to use on of those meters for their own fan testing, but they found that some fans gave dud readings because they were spinning opposite the norm, which didn't mesh well with an impeller-style measuring device.

But yeah, those devices can be a real eye-opener sometimes.
Old December 12, 2008, 07:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Oh I know it isn't perfect, but you'd be surprised at how many High End Things I touch that use fans (much like the same ones Comps use) that need to be monitored and tested. It is fairly accurate (0.1< CFM discrepency) if you believe Omega.

But yeah, can be fun!

ST

Old December 16, 2008, 01:07 PM
MVP

My System Specs

i'd like one to see how much cfm my fans push :/

Old December 17, 2008, 07:35 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaGle1337 View Post
i'd like one to see how much cfm my fans push :/

Well so far,
Xtreme Turbine Fans Claim - 89.5CFM!!!!!! Actual = 83.2 - 86 Actual CFM
However they do state a 10% margin for error on their claims.

Its always good to just know, for me.

ST

Old December 17, 2008, 07:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

One day people will realize that CFM isn't everything to do with a fan and that there is a lot more to it.
Old December 17, 2008, 08:08 PM
Top Prospect

Even if teh result you get for a particular fan is not 100% accurate, if you use the same testing procedure then you should have good relative results cause any errors would be consistent. For example, testing a wide range of 75cfm 120mm fans to see how each actually performs in relation to the other.

It would be a good write up.
Old December 17, 2008, 08:24 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
One day people will realize that CFM isn't everything to do with a fan and that there is a lot more to it.
I realize that Enaberif, static pressure plays a big role as well. Its not just one set of numbers that makes a good fan, and was corrected on this matter in regards to what I wanted to do with a WC setup.
A lot of things matter, Life , noise, vibration, Turbulance, Airflow pattern created, etc etc.
This is just one of those 'cool' factor items/posts.
If I had the $$$, I'd get a lot more tools to test out every aspect. Including a 'smoker' to see the patterns in my case. This is neither here nor there in regards to a definative answer on whats good and what isn't. It is one Item, that measures one thing, and does it with a high degree of Accuracy, as is require in my field.

Snafu,
I wish I had the money to actually go ahead with a project like that. But its all subjective and wouldn't be viewed with any degree of accuracy being that I'm doing it.

Good idea though,

ST