Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Air Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/)
-   -   Thermalright Ultra120 Extreme DOES NOT FIT in STACKER 832 (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/1260-thermalright-ultra120-extreme-does-not-fit-stacker-832-a.html)

CMetaphor May 15, 2007 06:05 AM

Thermalright Ultra120 Extreme DOES NOT FIT in STACKER 832

Yeah. Even though according to the measurements they shouldve fit, the coolermaster dimensions never took into account the fan rack... So after an hour of modding, my top left 120mm bracket on the stacker 832 fan bracket can no longer be used.... But thats okay! I still managed to fit a lower 120mm AND THE CROSSFLOW FAN (angled). Pics coming.... Um.... Sometime soonish.

PS: The thermalright cools my 6000+ awsomely! Posted my system last night at idle temps of 34c!!! 6 degrees above room temp! hehehe

Babrbarossa May 15, 2007 07:38 AM

Great temps!! no biggy about the fan really, i guess- who need a fan blowing directly onto the top of the CPU cooler (especially when there's room for three others there)

CMetaphor May 15, 2007 09:30 AM

Actually, because of the width of the thermalright, i had to chop off part of BOTH upper 120mm fan brackets... BUT these are the "toolless" cage mounts only, the holes on the fan bracket itself remains unchanged so i could theoretically put back 4 120mm fans someday if i dont use the thermalright.

Misoprostol May 15, 2007 07:20 PM

Interesting....

Honestly I was very close to buying a stacker 830 a long time ago. If it wasn't so darn hard to water cool that case, I probably would have gone for it.

CMetaphor May 16, 2007 07:37 AM

The "Massive" size of the case is a little overrated. Yes you can fit 9 opticals or 6 opticals and 4 hdd's or 3 opticals and 8hdd's (my setup) but the actual space for the mobo isnt so great, especially since my system is basically full to the brim... I couldnt have fit much more into this case so i suppose my next system will have to be E-atx with a Server tower,lol. Pics coming tonight for the gallery.

lowfat May 16, 2007 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misoprostol (Post 9251)
Interesting....

Honestly I was very close to buying a stacker 830 a long time ago. If it wasn't so darn hard to water cool that case, I probably would have gone for it.

why is is so hard? I will be watercooling the 830 i just bought. Although I will be removing the HDD rack and don't use any optical drives.

CMetaphor May 19, 2007 02:53 PM

Actually.... my earlier reported temperatures werent correct.... theyre LOWER.

Asus PC Probe II reports my cpu idle temp at 27-28c with an ambient room temperature of 23.5c Sweet Jesus!!!

JayDee May 19, 2007 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMetaphor (Post 9293)
The "Massive" size of the case is a little overrated. Yes you can fit 9 opticals or 6 opticals and 4 hdd's or 3 opticals and 8hdd's (my setup) but the actual space for the mobo isnt so great, especially since my system is basically full to the brim... I couldnt have fit much more into this case so i suppose my next system will have to be E-atx with a Server tower,lol. Pics coming tonight for the gallery.

Wow that's a surprise - I thought there was a ton of room to work in there. How much clear space is there between the edge of the mobo and the HDD/optical rack?

CMetaphor May 20, 2007 08:12 AM

Theres still a good deal of room inside of the case mobo wise... Id say about 3-4 cm (i dont use inches!!!) lol. Pictured below:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com//imag...b8d789c404.jpg

A 8800GTX or ultra would probably still fit fine without interfering with the hdd racks.

enaberif May 20, 2007 10:06 AM

That case is soooo overrated! And depending on what motherboard you have will play a big role. Some motherboards are wider than others and I've seen this case with basically the same setup and wasn't really impressed. But good job on making it all fit! Sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do to make it work.