Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 3, 2008, 07:44 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu View Post
I sit here and chuckle at the question. Not at you but because the answer is best found out by having the parts in front of you or from someone who has the case. Side fans are usually 25mm wide. I checked a few places (even Cooler Master's website) and no where do they confirm the fan's thickness in the specifications. As for the motherboard side of things, there is more than just the motherboard to consider. First the board itself is ~2mm thick. The height of the CPU from the board (5mm?). There are also the motherboard standoffs (~5-7mm) and the motherboard tray (~1mm) to consider. So far we are up to 13-15mm but there is one more point to consider, the spacing between it and the left side panel. The answer to this lies with the case itself because it is a spec that I have never seen listed. Let's take the information we have so far and do the next best thing - guesstimate. The cooler is 160mm tall, side fan is 25mm, plus the 13-15mm = 198-200mm. If the case is only 213mm wide (minus 2mm for the thickness of the side panels = 211mm) this leaves 11-13mm left. So if the space between the motherboard tray and the left side panel is smaller than this then the cooler will fit. If it is larger then the cooler will interfere with the cooler and you would have to take the fan off for it to fit. Do you see why I chuckle?
Yes I do.

Will getting rid of the fan really change much if I add another elsewhere?

Can I be pretty sure that it will fit with the fan removed?

11-13mm... for the average case, would I be allright?
Old December 3, 2008, 07:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

You don't need the fans on the side panel.

Just ask the guy who has the case I made. I flipped the side panels around and as long as you have good fans in the rest of the case side panel fans just screw up air flow.
Old December 3, 2008, 08:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

Depends on the side fan. 120mm fans are usually 25mm thick, but the larger 200-360mm fans can be hit 40mm thick pretty easily. And even if the case is 210mm wide, you're not going to get all of that, because some of that width is taken up the back panel, the space between that panel and the motherboard tray, the motherboard standoffs, the CPU socket on the motherboard... but as said above, if the case is designed well, you can just ditch the side fan without loosing too much cooling.
Old December 4, 2008, 09:03 AM
Rookie

Cool, I could just move that fan elsewhere anyways.

So I can reasonably expect it to fit with the fan removed?
Old December 4, 2008, 07:16 PM
Top Prospect

My contact at Cooler Master passed on this info for you:
Quote:
The distance is 170mm roughly with the motherboard installed and no fan mounted on the top slot on the side panel. If you mount a fan on the side panel directly above the CPU subtract 25mm
So the cooler will fit if the side fan is removed.
Old December 4, 2008, 09:02 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu View Post
My contact at Cooler Master passed on this info for you: So the cooler will fit if the side fan is removed.
Cool, thank you very much.

So am I better off getting rid of the side fan or finding a different cooler?
Old December 4, 2008, 09:07 PM
MVP

My System Specs

get rid of the side fan the xig is a great cooler.