Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Air Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/)
-   -   Vantec Stealth Fans are Really loud? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/11991-vantec-stealth-fans-really-loud.html)

arekieh November 19, 2008 09:32 PM

Vantec Stealth Fans are Really loud?

Umm wow, this is getting on my nerves.
I just ordered 2 92mm Vantec Stealth Fans rated at 20dBa. I just installed them on my Xigmatek Battleaxe and its now the loudest thing in my case.... i have 5 antec tricools running at Low, and a modded OCZ PSU also running a tricool at low. All the fans in my case are tricools at low, that are rated at 22dba, and the 2 vantec stealths are by far the loudest, theyre a bit better than the stock xigmateks, but still..... Could it be because of the airflow restriction from the grill of the Xigmatek Battleaxe? Even running at 55% (using speedfan to slow it down) its still teh loudest componenet. Also when i slow it down more than 55% i hear a whine, like a screechy sound, its not that loud, but extremely annoying. This also happened with teh xigmatek fans. Any ideas?
thanks

arekieh November 19, 2008 09:38 PM

Omg I AM INSANE, I cant even hear properly, maybe its just my dad beside me talking on the phone. Nevermind guys, sorry i jumped the gun, they are quiet, they are barely audible over the rest of the fans @ 100%, at 90% the sound is all coming from the tricools

arekieh November 19, 2008 09:40 PM

OMG I HAVE MASSIVE ISSUES, Someone shoot me please..... The sound is.... the heat register..... not my case....... the heat just shut off, and my case is almost completely silent, i think im going insane.
Paranoid much?

*Sorry for the triple post, i thought my retardedness waranted it*

MpG November 19, 2008 09:45 PM

What kind of noise?

Unless these fans are serious pieces of :censored:, I don't think I'd expect an 1800rpm 92mm fan to be any worse than the Tri-cools at low. But fans can make other components vibrate if they're not attached properly - either too loose, or to something that vibrates easily. If if it's vibration issue, you can put something soft between the fan and the mount surface to help isolate the fan.

The noise at lower speeds might just be a quirk - many fans start to do weird things when undervolted.

Edit: Nvrmnd, got it sorted out, I see.

arekieh November 19, 2008 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MpG (Post 115003)
What kind of noise?

Unless these fans are serious pieces of :censored:, I don't think I'd expect an 1800rpm 92mm fan to be any worse than the Tri-cools at low. But fans can make other components vibrate if they're not attached properly - either too loose, or to something that vibrates easily. If if it's vibration issue, you can put something soft between the fan and the mount surface to help isolate the fan.

The noise at lower speeds might just be a quirk - many fans start to do weird things when undervolted.

Edit: Nvrmnd, got it sorted out, I see.

lol, ya, in between the fans and the HS, are rubber fan gromets, and its attached really tightly to the metal covering, it is making a bit more sound than i expected, im geussing its because of the restricted airflow in the HS which causes a louder noise, but then again, my heat register is making quite a bit of noise right now and pissing me off so i cant really tell. Thanks for the input though :D