Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 14, 2008, 04:43 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Default OCZ Gladiator MAX CPU Cooler Review comment thread

Recently we got our hands on the new HDT based cooler from OCZ. Needless to say we had very high expectations for this cooler as the last OCZ HDT one, the Vendetta 2, was exceptional! This cooler is certainly not a bad one and we have a feeling it is designed with future CPUs in mind rather than the 775 / AM2 chips, but a high price tag does make it a lot less appealing.

You can read my review here: Glad MAX

Hope you enjoy it!
AkG

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 14, 2008, 05:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

Thank you AkG..

Dissapointing though, I would have thought OCZ did their homework and might have improved a tad bit on the S1284 design and flaws they had on the Vendetta 2. Clearly the Vendetta 2 and Xigmatek S1283 heatsinks are better..

I have one request for you though sir.. possible to do a small comparison test btw this MAX heatsink and the Sunbeam CCF, if possible :)..

Just curious on too how much is true, Frosty Tech rates the Sunbeam CCF as one of the best LGA775 performance coolers with low temps, and it is hard to believe that something similar in design can't do better than the Vendetta 2. If you could, that would be great, if not.. next time please :)..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old November 14, 2008, 05:17 AM
MVP

I stopped reading as soon as I read the price. No way we can pay that much when the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 perform great already for cheap.

edit: Peeked at the thermal testing results and I'm right

Proud to be [H]ard !
Old November 14, 2008, 07:11 AM
MVP

good review. disappointed indeed. vendetta2 and xiggy are both insane coolers, used them ALOT. will stick with them for now :)
Old November 14, 2008, 07:31 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
I have one request for you though sir.. possible to do a small comparison test btw this MAX heatsink and the Sunbeam CCF, if possible :)..

Just curious on too how much is true, Frosty Tech rates the Sunbeam CCF as one of the best LGA775 performance coolers with low temps, and it is hard to believe that something similar in design can't do better than the Vendetta 2. If you could, that would be great, if not.. next time please :)..
Unfortunately, our Sunbeam / Tuniq rep went MIA about a month ago and have not been able to raise anyone over there. What we might do is just buy a CCF so stay tuned.
Old November 14, 2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
.....I have one request for you though sir.. possible to do a small comparison test btw this MAX heatsink and the Sunbeam CCF, if possible :)..

The big thing to remember with the Sunbeam CCF is it comes with a 2000rpm 90CFM fan! IMHO (and without one to test its just a guess) this is the big reason it outperforms the Vendetta 2. Stick a panaflo 105cfm on the Vendetta 2 and you have the best air cooler I have ever seen (just look at my Phenom review for proof!)

Just my best guess...YMMV :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 14, 2008, 10:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Excellent review! AkG, you've been improving your reviews each time. I love the Passive Test idea because it gives a better idea of how beefy these heatsinks are and how they can really shine in the most critical cases. Questions though:

1) That was with absolutely no fans surrounding the test system, correct?\
2) What was the maximum temperature the Q6600 reached?

Overall, great review.
Old November 14, 2008, 11:14 AM

Hi bojangles, thanks for the positive comments.

That was with absolutely NO air movement. Hell, I didn't even move! I honestly can't remember what it did reach temp wise (I didn't record them and do a avg). I just kept an eye on the temps to make sure it stayed below 70°.

I didn't take note as really don't want to publish temps for that test, as it really wouldn't be fair to the mfg'ers. Though I can promise you, if a mfg'er states ANYWHERE that a given cooler is meant for passive setup I WILL publish the temps it got! As for the Glad MAX, what I can tell you is that I'm surprised it passed this test as I thought I'd have to go back and modify the paramaters to make it a bit easier. This is not an easy test and its right at the edge of what i consider fair...'ish ;)

Old November 14, 2008, 02:07 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the exhaustive testing AkG it was an eye opener indeed. I'm pretty disappointed with the Gladiator MAX results and the price per performance ratio is hard to justify without the extra value added features that should be included at this price like a better fan and a bolt through kit. OCZ still likes the zig-zag fin design at the back but I often wished they'd make it flat like the True so users could mount another fan at the back in a push-pull config. I know with my Vendetta 2 the airflow gets split when it intersects the first heat pipe and I get more air flow being redirected out the sides of the HS than I do at the back. I guess the OCZ people know whats best because you can't argue with this basic design performance.

I giggled when I read what you said about the pillars and "huge honkn' gaps" and filling those chasms up as I know exactly what your talking about as I had to lap my Vendetta 2 very carefully and it wasn't to costly at all. Its a risky proposition but mine was poorly machined and needed the attention but if it were a Gladiator MAX at double the cost I wouldn't have touched it. Another good alteration from the Vendetta 2 I noticed is the addition of the aluminum posts that come up from the base center to attach to the center of the fins, I think thats a fantastic addition for better overall sturdyness.

Great review AkG
Old November 14, 2008, 02:47 PM
MVP

My System Specs

good review, why couldn't they have used a good fin style.. It would have been an awesome hsf then.