Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 14, 2008, 06:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Would you guys have by any chance got one with a concave/convex base? Seems a bit odd how the Vendetta 2 and HDT S-1283 costs like $30 less but performs a couple degrees better while having only 3 heatpipes instead of 4.

After finishing your article, it seems that the cooler may have been designed for Core i7. However, I like the Vendetta 2 more than the Gladiator. It seems that OCZ has done a much better job with the Vendetta 2 than the Gladiator MAX.

Last edited by geokilla; November 14, 2008 at 06:56 PM.
Old November 14, 2008, 06:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Another great review with lots of details

Lets hope for a fat MIR from OCZ
Old November 14, 2008, 11:51 PM
MVP

Really loving these cooler reviews, very thorough! Good catch on pipes being outside the contact patch. It'll be interesting to see how it sits on an i7 and maybe pull ahead a couple more degrees.

boot: 4x WD Caviar SE16 250gb SATA2 Raid-0
backup: Seagate 500gb 32mb SATA2
eye: eVGA 9800GTX+ SC 512mb 770/2.25ghz
candy: Samsung 940B-HAS | X-Fi XMusic | Pioneer DVR-212D SATA
juice: PC Power & Cooling 750Quad | Cooler Master HAF932
steering: Logitech G15 & G5 | E3D Pro/Momo Wheel | X-530's
Old November 15, 2008, 12:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Unfortunately, our Sunbeam / Tuniq rep went MIA about a month ago and have not been able to raise anyone over there. What we might do is just buy a CCF so stay tuned.
No worries, but thanks SKY.. That is why I like HWC reviewers, sometimes you guys go out of your ways to get the reviews for us, which I respect alot. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
The big thing to remember with the Sunbeam CCF is it comes with a 2000rpm 90CFM fan! IMHO (and without one to test its just a guess) this is the big reason it outperforms the Vendetta 2. Stick a panaflo 105cfm on the Vendetta 2 and you have the best air cooler I have ever seen (just look at my Phenom review for proof!)

Just my best guess...YMMV :)
Yup AkG.. I actually have 2 of those Panaflo 114.7cfm fans, and when I had put them on my a Thermalright SI-120 heatsink, it was tremendous, and then also performed quite well on my TRUE.. I Was considering the Vendetta 2 tbh, but I'm happy with my water cooling setup..

G8 review nonetheless..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old November 15, 2008, 03:19 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Would you guys have by any chance got one with a concave/convex base? Seems a bit odd how the Vendetta 2 and HDT S-1283 costs like $30 less but performs a couple degrees better while having only 3 heatpipes instead of 4.

After finishing your article, it seems that the cooler may have been designed for Core i7. However, I like the Vendetta 2 more than the Gladiator. It seems that OCZ has done a much better job with the Vendetta 2 than the Gladiator MAX.
I am sure AkG uses a razor blade to test this so he would be in a better position to answer.
Old November 15, 2008, 03:42 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The base is flat..or at least as flat as it can be with those metal posts and chasms between the pipes!

You could have an additional DOZEN pipes on each of the three center ones and it wouldn't matter as the 775 CPU is only so big. This is the main reason the Vendetta 2 is so good: its perfectly sized for the job it was designed for; the same can not be said of the Glad Max unless it was designed for I7s. Only time will tell but that's my guess ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr