Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 11, 2008, 11:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default TJ09 Fan Arrangement Query

Sorry guys had this in "Case" section, should have been here...
Hey guys, will be receiving my new TJ09 Case here in the next few days..I have also coming with it 3 additional Scythe Flex 120 mm 1200 RPM Fans.
Question, which would be the most efficient solution to setting up the additional Fans?
the Case stock comes with :
1 - 120 mm intake blowing directly onto GPU's
2. - 120 mm Exhaust at top rear.

I have 3 x 120mm to add, was thinking (as seen the same config on another Forum):
1. Additional 120 mm for HDD Rack (no brainer)
2. Additional 120mm Exhaust at top of case rear portion above me HSF
3. Additional 120mm Intake on top of case / front portion

Excluding HDD Fan, as its seperate from the rest of the interior of the case, this would be 2 x 120 mm Exhaust and 2 x 120 mm Intakes,,,What do you think??
I have also read of configuring both top Fans Exhaust and the Top Rear Fan Exhaust, however, this would result in 3 x 120 mm Exhaust (at top) and 1 x 120 mm Intake (bottom blowing onto GPU's)...this can't be good can it?

Note: I'm mounting the HX 1kW right side up on the bottom so it draws cool air in from the vent / grill within the bottom of the Case, other option is to mount the HX 1kW upside down so that it would draw air from under the GTX 280's and exhaust out the back, however, its a 140mm Fan, would it be wise to have the small intake fan on the lower GPU competing for air with that large 140mm??? They would be pretty much facing one another..

Thoughts would be very much appreciated. as I've searched high and low with no real answers...
Thaks in advance
Old November 12, 2008, 04:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

Congrats on getting such a nice case. Just some "food-for-thoughts" here:
Quote:
I have 3 x 120mm to add, was thinking (as seen the same config on another Forum):
1. Additional 120 mm for HDD Rack (no brainer)
2. Additional 120mm Exhaust at top of case rear portion above me HSF
3. Additional 120mm Intake on top of case / front portion
1. Definitely
2/3.If you have the top front drawing in air...the top rear will probably suck it right back out before the air grabs much heat...in a sort-of endless cycle.

Quote:
I have also read of configuring both top Fans Exhaust and the Top Rear Fan Exhaust, however, this would result in 3 x 120 mm Exhaust (at top) and 1 x 120 mm Intake (bottom blowing onto GPU's)...this can't be good can it?
It isn't so bad, you just have a negative-pressure system which will suck in air from any crevice it can find... and consequently fills your case up with dust and hair.. faster than a balanced or positive-pressure setup. Don't forget that the 2x280's are taking inside air and venting them out the back too(assuming stock coolers)..causing an even more neg. pressure situation.

Quote:
Note: I'm mounting the HX 1kW right side up on the bottom so it draws cool air in from the vent / grill within the bottom of the Case, other option is to mount the HX 1kW upside down so that it would draw air from under the GTX 280's and exhaust out the back, however, its a 140mm Fan, would it be wise to have the small intake fan on the lower GPU competing for air with that large 140mm??? They would be pretty much facing one another..
I would leave the PSU drawing from outside. In a case, where the PSU is top-mounted, it helps draw out warm(rising) air... but not much heat will be "sitting" on the bottom of your case anyways...and i think you're right about the PSU and the GPU/fan contending for the same air.

I guess this is what i would do with your case(similar fan mounts as my CM690) and fans:

- PSU - drawing from outside/underneath
- 2x120 for HDD cage(s)
- 1x120 side-panel for GPU's/mobo
- 1x120 rear-top exhaust
- 1x120 intake top-front
- top-rear...no fan.

The reason i wouldn't put the top-rear fan in is, as i mentioned about the two cycling each-others air. Without a fan in that spot, any hot air(and i wouldn't expect much there) could just exhaust by convection..through the fan-grill...without fighting the top-front fan.

If you find yourself with a left-over 120, maybe mounting it beside the other 120 side-panel could be good(if there's another fan grill there), feeding more fresh air to the GPUs'/chipset and VRMs(hopefully). GL

Last edited by 1Tanker; November 12, 2008 at 04:42 AM.
Old November 12, 2008, 05:41 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

I Second just about everything 1Tanker said in that post (wel donel btw, nicely explained). Positive Pressure > Balanced > Negative Pressure. In negative pressure system not only do you get the dust problems that 1Tanker mentioned, but also your general airflow will be a mess due to the fact that air isn't "flowing" through the case such as its seeping in and being shoved back out.
Old November 12, 2008, 06:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thnkas guys for the advice...she's all built and complete, up n running,,,very nice Case indeed.....nice to not have to hear those 80 mm Fans screaming like an F14 beside my ear!!!