Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 5, 2008, 05:11 PM
Top Prospect

Default Any heatsinks out for GTX260/280'S yet?

Not looking for waterblocks, just air. I know that Thermalright has the HR-03GTX coming out, but it is two months overdue. Thermalright has had full-page ads for the HR-03GTX in the last few issues of Maximum PC. An un-confirmed report I was told about on XSF said that they were having overheating issues with it but I find that a bit strange, whether it is true or not. There was also supposed to be a version of the T-Rad for the 260/280's but no info on that yet either.
Anyone have any other information on availability of a heatsink for these cards?
4G GSkill DDR3 2000 Ripjaws
Asus P7P55D-Pro
2x EVGA GTX275 in SLI
PC P&C 750 Silencer
Cuda 500
Antec 902
W7 64 RTM

Last edited by Retro; January 8, 2009 at 05:34 AM.
Old November 7, 2008, 03:10 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Apply MX-2 to the stock and have a 120mmfan on it. My GTX 260 Core 216 SC edition is idle around 40*C and load @ 55*C. I've even OC'd it even though it's Superclocked (575 stock, 626 SC and mine is 666. These temps are pretty good for air, to spend $50 or more on a marginally better is not too worthwhile. If you want to spend and get better cooling for gtx 260/280 go with water.
Old November 7, 2008, 04:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Just curious, did you have to take out a hard drive bay for the GTX280 to fit in your mini ?

and wartercooling a mini is quite and adventure !

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old November 7, 2008, 04:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

There isn't alot out there Retro, like you I am patiently waiting for something to surface to. I am glad thermalright hasn't released the HR-03 GTX if there has been problems with overheating it all makes sense now why its still a preview on the website, its been like that for months now.

EE
Old November 8, 2008, 12:45 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchutch View Post
Apply MX-2 to the stock and have a 120mmfan on it. My GTX 260 Core 216 SC edition is idle around 40*C and load @ 55*C. I've even OC'd it even though it's Superclocked (575 stock, 626 SC and mine is 666. These temps are pretty good for air, to spend $50 or more on a marginally better is not too worthwhile. If you want to spend and get better cooling for gtx 260/280 go with water.
That's good advice for using the stock heatsink, however I have been fitting aftermarket heatsinks to most of the cards I have had personally and to other system builds for several years now. The typical 15-20C reduction in load temps and the noise reduction are well worth the cost. As for going with water, I have no plans to go there, we are talking about a lot more than 50 bucks to do that But kudos to those who have such exotic cooling, I have seen systems that have terrific water-cooling setups with all the expensive parts, both EVGA and DangerDen have nice blocks for these cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsta31 View Post
Just curious, did you have to take out a hard drive bay for the GTX280 to fit in your mini ?

and wartercooling a mini is quite and adventure !
Actually, I removed both hard drive bays and the shelf between them (it was riveted on) as a small modding project for my own warped preferences. I only use one hard drive and it is mounted near the bottom front of the case. As for the 280, I think you have to remove the lower hd bay to fit that beast in, mine has tons of space with the bay removed.
Installing a good watercooling system would be an adventure. Not my cup of tea, I am happy with high-end air cooling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
There isn't alot out there Retro, like you I am patiently waiting for something to surface to. I am glad thermalright hasn't released the HR-03 GTX if there has been problems with overheating it all makes sense now why its still a preview on the website, its been like that for months now.

EE
Right, it looks like a question of waiting until TR gets these coolers out. I e-mailed Thermalright Support way back on June 22 and asked when they would be releasing the HR-03GTX, they replied that it would be "hitting the market in early August."
That makes it three months overdue now. Some guy from Sweden told me on XSF that there was an overheating problem with the new HR-03GTX installed on the 260/280's. Seems odd to me but it would explain the long delay.
As much as I like Thermalright's products, it is still unfortunate that no other companies are making an alternative to the HR-03GTX.
I did sent TR another e-mail about an eta, not that it did any good before
Asus P7P55D-Pro
2x EVGA GTX275 in SLI
PC P&C 750 Silencer
Cuda 500
Antec 902
W7 64 RTM

Last edited by Retro; December 26, 2008 at 08:09 AM.
Old November 9, 2008, 11:11 PM
Top Prospect

My latest reply from Cheng at Thermalright: "The HR-03GTX will be available worldwide in early December".
Asus P7P55D-Pro
2x EVGA GTX275 in SLI
PC P&C 750 Silencer
Cuda 500
Antec 902
W7 64 RTM

Last edited by Retro; December 26, 2008 at 07:48 AM.
Old November 10, 2008, 09:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Confirmed release date

I recieved an e-mail and this is what I was told,

Quote:
Dear Adam,

HR-03 GTX will be released on November 17th.
Thank you for your inquiry.

Best Regards,
Hank Peng
Customer Relations/ Product Marketing/ Public Relations
This should pretty common knowledge any google search will return this:

Ultimate CPU Cooling Solutions! USA

I also did some further digging and found this:

Anitec.ca - Thermalright HR-03 GTX Heat Pipe Video Card Cooler *Pre-Order*

I also sent Anitec.ca an e-mail to confirm any additional information regarding the release date and shipping, hopefully their supplier will be in gear for the release and have some to ship within a couple weeks of the release. I'll update as soon as I hear back from them.

I also want to make make mention of another product that was featured in the e-mail as "coming soon" The Thermalright AXP140 low profile HTPC heatsink it was featured at Computex08, unfortunately there is little to no information other than a few pictures currently on the web. Hopefully Thermalright will be including a 140mm fan to mount on that impressive cpu cooler. I will continue to dig and see if I can't get a little more information out of Thermalright, if I get anything concrete or legite I will start an official thread with pics or specs depending on what I recieve.

Attached Images

Last edited by Eagle Eye; November 10, 2008 at 10:22 PM.
Old November 11, 2008, 09:16 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
I recieved an e-mail and this is what I was told,

This should pretty common knowledge any google search will return this:

Ultimate CPU Cooling Solutions! USA

I also did some further digging and found this:

Anitec.ca - Thermalright HR-03 GTX Heat Pipe Video Card Cooler *Pre-Order*

I also sent Anitec.ca an e-mail to confirm any additional information regarding the release date and shipping, hopefully their supplier will be in gear for the release and have some to ship within a couple weeks of the release. I'll update as soon as I hear back from them.

I also want to make make mention of another product that was featured in the e-mail as "coming soon" The Thermalright AXP140 low profile HTPC heatsink it was featured at Computex08, unfortunately there is little to no information other than a few pictures currently on the web. Hopefully Thermalright will be including a 140mm fan to mount on that impressive cpu cooler. I will continue to dig and see if I can't get a little more information out of Thermalright, if I get anything concrete or legite I will start an official thread with pics or specs depending on what I recieve.

Very interesting indeed. Thanks for the info.
The guy that replied to me was named Armand Cheng, I hope Mr. Peng's date is more accurate.
Regardless, it looks like the HR-03GTX will be available soon.
Asus P7P55D-Pro
2x EVGA GTX275 in SLI
PC P&C 750 Silencer
Cuda 500
Antec 902
W7 64 RTM

Last edited by Retro; January 8, 2009 at 05:34 AM.
Old November 13, 2008, 01:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well Mr. Peng has come up with a little more information for me here is the sales kit brochure, I encourage you all to have a quick look.

Enjoy,

EE
Attached Images
File Type: pdf HR-03 GTX--Sales-kits-EN.pdf (305.8 KB, 226 views)

Last edited by Eagle Eye; November 13, 2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old December 4, 2008, 03:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I spoke to Arctic Cooling they will have a GTX280/260 Cooler next year. I won't say specifically when, because it never seems to be the truth and generally new releases are limited to the US market and it takes weeks before it hits the Canadian market.

EE