Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 19, 2008, 09:35 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
"Rob doesnt delete things. He just buys more hard drives"
That's funny, because that's the same thinking that the company I work for thinks. Geez, let's just keep things we haven't used in 6 years.... just cause HDD are cheap doesn't mean that implementing them are always cheap...
Old November 19, 2008, 10:53 PM
Allstar

When I transfer peoples files off their drives (when doing a full format) I have a bench rig with long cables and I leave their drives in their boxes and just hook my cables to them.. If they have a lot of stuff I've seen the drives in the "dead" box with no fans running hot enough to be uncomfortable to touch, where the drives in my machine are still cold with one dinky 80mm fan running over them it slow mode..
Having said that, a lot of their drives are older, and mine are all fresh seagates in that rig.
Old November 19, 2008, 11:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I've never actively cooled my Hard drives, With the amount of fanage in my case I'm sure they get *some* cooling but even then would not be alot. Never had an issue *knock on wood*
Old November 20, 2008, 03:45 AM
Allstar

Engines have moving parts. HD have moving parts. Both are engineered to work with heat. Think about it. They both will inevitibly die. Some faster than others. Of course it makes a differance if you are runnig say a raid 5 array with a full scsi ca ble with it is the standard? 32 drives? in one tower? sure it will get hot. But im running 3 drives and they dont even get warm to the touch. Maybe if you are constantly driving them hard sure. But, I dont think ANY of you are here asking for advice from a professional work environmen ( if you are, you ripped off your boss ) coz. you would be educated enough to know better. That leaves logically one place. You are running something like P2P filesharing and your drives are going nuts and you wanna know, can you kill em, well can you?