Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 11, 2008, 07:10 AM
Allstar
F@H

Default LGA775 Push Pins (OCZ Vendetta II)

Yeah. I've officially joined the 'Push Pins suck' club. Yesterday, after doing final assembly on my machine, the push pins for the Vendetta II were very annoying. They were hard to get to, and even after several out-of-case attempts at latching them on 100% to the motherboard, i only managed to get 2 or 3 of them 100% pushed in. During my attempts, i would push one fully in, and then a different one (fully latched and locked) would pop back out (how?). After getting to the point were i had some of them pushed in, the others weren't all the way down. The heatsink doesn't have any slack; but it's not firm, either, if you know what I mean.

the cpu idles at 50C, and in CPUID Hardware Monitor core 0 appears 6 to 10C hotter than core 2.

So I can tell that the Vendetta II is making some sort of contact with the cpu; but it's both not even and not tight. I don't think i put too much/too little tim (OCZ Freeze) on it, but that also may be a problem.

Is there any way I can successfully get the push pins all perfectly latched down and make good contact with the cpu?

Or would it be a lot easier to get the bolt thru kit? I heard that it provides a better mechanical connection anyways, and is a cinch to install compared to the push(over)-pin system...

help please, because my system is finished and running Vista; the only thing left to do is fix this cpu problem!

Oh, and besides that, the Seagate drive i have in there is so frickin loud. It also seems like it's kind of slow while i'm installing programs and things.
RAM : 4GB DDR2 800MHz (OCZ Platinum)
HDD : Main: 120GB SSD SATA2 (OCZ) Storage: 3TB SATA2 (WD Green) Backup: 500GB External USB (Hitatchi)
GFX : HD4850 (512MB)
PSU : 610W PC Power Silencer
MoBo: Asus P5Q SE
View : Acer H213H 21.5" @ 1920 x 1080

Oshawa Deathmatch Community -- An open group for Durham/Toronto Airsoft, Paintball, and Nerf players. Come join!

I am a Level/Game Designer! http://mikeseguin.webs.com/
Old October 11, 2008, 07:16 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Lol, sounds like you had the same experience that i had. Man i hate those push pins took me about 30 minutes to get all of mine in. If you can buy a bolt thru kit i would suggest it, my friend says it is way better then those pushpins.
"My brother is dead. He's not here Anymore. But on my back, and in my heart...He lives on in me. I will make a hole through heaven itself, even if that hole becomes my grave. As long as I break through, I will be victorious.Who the **** do you think I am?"
Old October 11, 2008, 07:46 AM
MVP

Yes, death to push-pins. I use bolt-thru kits for all my Xigmatek HDT-S1283 and TR Ultra. Another reason for this is because weight can cause it to pop off by accident and kill the GPU in the fall.

Proud to be [H]ard !
Old October 11, 2008, 09:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Push pins does suck... Bolt trhu kit is nice, but, push pin can work too. My vendetta is currently installed on my E8400 with push pin and it is cooling it quite nicely.

What I do is take the mobo out of the case, find a plane surface and push the pins that are opposite at the same time. You dont have to apply pressure on both at the time, but, make sure there is enough pressure on both to keep it in place. With all of this, it took me half an hour, some really nasty words and 4 tries before getting it correctly. Now I am doing 50C full load at 3.9 ghz

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old October 11, 2008, 01:06 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Lol, i should not had done this but i went barbarian on the pushpins and it finally went through. My friend did not get all the push pins through properly. We drove it all the way to our boarding school and when he wanted to check inside for something, the whole heatsink fell on his hand when he slightly touched it.
"My brother is dead. He's not here Anymore. But on my back, and in my heart...He lives on in me. I will make a hole through heaven itself, even if that hole becomes my grave. As long as I break through, I will be victorious.Who the **** do you think I am?"
Old October 11, 2008, 04:28 PM
Allstar
F@H

death to push-pins :(
HDD : Main: 120GB SSD SATA2 (OCZ) Storage: 3TB SATA2 (WD Green) Backup: 500GB External USB (Hitatchi)

Oshawa Deathmatch Community -- An open group for Durham/Toronto Airsoft, Paintball, and Nerf players. Come join!

Old October 11, 2008, 04:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

push pins work fine but you gotta know how to do them properly.

you have to work in a criss cross pattern.
Old October 11, 2008, 06:01 PM
Allstar
F@H

Well I re-attempted it, and so far, it seems to be stable, though not perfect. I idle at about 36 to 40C (it varies depending on clock speed; my cpu downclocks itself to 2GHz during idle times (it's an E8400, 45nm).

So far, it hasnt risen above 44C, but i havent stress-tested it yet.

Who knows, maybe it also needs the TIM to cure before i see an added benefit?

and my Sapphire 4850 is awesome :)

Well worth the 1000 dollars I spent on this machine.

(btw, did i mention im posting this on my new machine? :P)

Old October 11, 2008, 07:36 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Awesome you finally got it on. Oh yea and Enaberif my friend already tried the criss cross method and other kinds of methods we could think of. Every time we think its secure it just falls off, i'm planning to buy him a back plate
Old October 11, 2008, 08:23 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar_ell View Post
Awesome you finally got it on. Oh yea and Enaberif my friend already tried the criss cross method and other kinds of methods we could think of. Every time we think its secure it just falls off, i'm planning to buy him a back plate
yeah, im going to make sure my system isn't jiggled around too much...

So far, my cpu core 0 has hit 47C under moderate load. (core 1 still seems to remain cooler than core 0 by a little bit, 5C or so)