Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 7, 2008, 05:02 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Default Noctua U9 CPU Cooler Review comment thread

It is that time again! This time we are looking at an air cooler which may not be as large as some of the others we have tested in the past, but it certainly did not stop the Noctua U9 from performing admirably. While it may not have won any awards, it may just be the perfect choice for many consumers and is certainly worth a look.

On a side note: We have updated our charts so please tell us what you think of 'em!

You can read my review here: Noctua U9

Hope you enjoy it!
AkG

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 7, 2008, 07:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

Well not a bad cooler, it peforms pretty ok on the dual core cooling. Nice review AkG, I would love to see this cooler go head to head with a Ultima 90, just to see which one is worth it.

Great review as always. :)
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old October 7, 2008, 08:28 AM

Thanks miggs78.

As for your question an ultima90 would probably win, as it can accommodate a 120mm fan. i.e. its wider and thus has more surface area for cooling. This combined w/ more cfm from a 120mm fan (with more static pressure) would result in lower temps...BUT since the ultima 90 is bigger the U9 would win IF space was a concern ;) It really all depends on what you are looking for.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 7, 2008, 08:35 AM

GJ AkG!

Old October 7, 2008, 05:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Great Review AKG lol im still waiting on a faster NFP-12 1300rpm can be pushed further say to 1600 rpm it would be a killer fan. Anyways great review
Mushkin Ascent Redline 8000 4gb DDR2 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.05v
OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV

Coolermaster Cosmos S/
Swiftech Mcp655/ MCR-320-QP/ 6X Noctua NF-P12'S/ Swiftech Apogee GT/ Swiftech Mcw-60/ Swiftech Micro-Res.

Old October 7, 2008, 06:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

Aah!! thanks AkG, I wasn't aware of that, any cooler that can accommodate a 120mm fan, can 90% of the time beat any 92mm fan cooler.

Great information.. :)
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old October 7, 2008, 07:07 PM
Rookie

Smile

I’m sorry to go against the grain but as far as CPU Cooling Reviews go I believe that it was on par with what is commonly done but it doesn’t even touch the lofty standards set by your Motherboard Reviews, as Hardware Canucks Motherboard Reviews are second to none.

With CPU Coolers, virtually all reviews test the obvious things such as Cooling Effectiveness but what about Noise Levels, Physical Fit or even Cooling Redundancy.

Personally, I would like to see you guys raise the bar; if a Cooler can accommodate a second fan then why not fit one? Surely I can’t be the only one who thinks that Cooling Redundancy is a critical factor when selecting a CPU Cooler?

From this perspective it would have been very informative to see the Cooling Effectiveness & corresponding Noise Levels, under some of the following conditions:

1.Two fans Push/Pull operations
2.Simulated failure of Push (Pull left in place)
3.Simulated failure of Pull (Push let in place)
4.Simulated failure of both fans (both left in place)

Finally on the subject of Physical fit you should have at least mentioned the extensiveness of Noctua’s Motherboard Compatibility Lists, many aftermarket HSF suppliers don’t even bother to supply such a list. Noctua.at - sound-optimised premium components "Designed in Austria"!

IMO Reviewer should be both revered & despised by Manufactures, thereby driving innovation; in contrast a mediocre review that in many parts reads like an Advertorial, serves no one. What first attracted me to your site was an incredible Motherboard Review (wow you guys broke out a multimeter & got busy, kudos ) & I want to encourage you guys to pursuer that same rigorous standards in all your reviews. After all we are Tech Enthusiasts aren’t we? So less advertorial & more testing... please.

Anyway, that my perspective & in the end I doubt any additional testing would have changed your conclusions but it would have IMO given your article the feeling of a genuine & rigorous review.

OK, so let my roasting begin

Regards, Dizz

CPU: Q6600 - 3.6GHz 8x450 - 24/7 Stable
VCore: 1.45v - BIOS Setting
HSF: Ultra 120 with NF-P12 Fan x 2
Temp: TCase 41c Hotest Tj 62c

GPU: HIS IceQ3 Turbo HD3870
Temp: Celcius 29-36 Degrees - Idle
Disp: Dual 19" Standard 1280x1024

Old October 8, 2008, 09:11 AM

Meh.

Some people would complain no matter what we do.

I usually do test w/ 2 fans, but it in this case it wouldn't have been germane to the this review nor help the intended customer of this review decide if the U9 is right for them.

While fun, catastrophic failure testing serves little real world purpose. NO air cooler will work properly with a dead fan (more importantly how often does THAT occur in real life let alone TWO).

I mention in all my reviews how loud a fan is. It is subjective, deal with it. Of course, if you wish to donate the necessary equipment I will happily use it ;)

Annoying the mfg'ers (which I have done in the past...and will do in the future) was not called for in this review, nor would it have been fair. What purpose would it have served?

60 hrs of testing gave me a good feel for this item. I stand by my review.

Saying I'm not "genuine & rigorous" in my review tells me a lot about you.... 'nuff said.

Now I'm gonna go back to testing my next item....a very sweet CASE which has been mentioned in the forums.
/cough/ Massive stock fans...great WC'ing options /cough/

Last edited by AkG; October 8, 2008 at 10:32 AM.
Old October 8, 2008, 10:16 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Just to add to what AkG said, no one here should worry about being flamed for their comments about a review. There is a reason we have these comment threads and that is to have an open dialog with the community where you guys are able to voice your opinions no matter how negative they may be.

While it is always nice to have praise, everyone knows that constructive criticism often leads to us better understanding what you guys expect. It is a way to improve the reviews since no review (be it mobos, GPUs, enclosures, etc.) can be perfect as there just isn't the time for us part-time reviewers to touch on even close to everything. Don't worry though, everything you guys say is filed away somewhere in the review staff's heads and will be used in the future.

That being said, I believe that our CPU cooler reviews stand out among much of the competition since AkG is willing to put the time and effort into testing the coolers out on two seperate chips and at different overclocks as well. Naturally, with 50+ hours being dedicated to one review there will be some things that the Editorial staff has to cut so the reviewer can move on to other products. I am sure that if I gave AkG an unlimited amount of time with a product, he would come out with the mother of all reviews but with the number of manufacturers who want their products reviewer by us, I have to make sure the time is divided up evenly from one review to the next. It is a constant struggle on my part to make sure the reviewers have time to adequately evaluate the product they have while making sure the article comes out in a timely manner. If it doesn't it will be pretty much ignored since there are competing websites who will already have their reviews out.

Phew. Ok, I hope that explains things a bit better.
Old October 8, 2008, 11:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

Good review again. I'm still not sold on the validity of the "$/degrees" school of mathematics, but pay no attention to the watercooler...

Surprising that the smaller fan is that much louder than the 120mm variant. I would have expected the smaller size to compensate for the increased rpm, but obviously not.

Not that you don't provide enough pictures as it is, but if the heatsink base is bad enough, laying a razor blade across it and photographing the light leaking underneath makes for a pretty vivid shot.