Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 26, 2008, 09:16 PM
Allstar
F@H

Default OCZ Vendetta II

Okay, so, for the new build i'm working on, I went with popular opinion and got the aforementioned HSF for my E8400. I have a few questions and quirks, if you've got the time :P

1) The case the system will be mounted in is an Antec 900. Which way should the Vendetta II be aimed at--blow towards the rear of the case, or blow towards the top?

2) Is the paste that comes with the Vendetta II good? Or should I invest in some proper paste like Antec Silver?

3) I didn't get the bolt through kit (i'm currently undecided on getting it; installation would require the unearthing of my motherboard from my case). I was installing the stock HSF that came with my E8400 (which i purchased today) in my mother's computer, as her heatsink was broken. (at least i think it was; read further to see). I couldn't get the damn thing latched down properly; it jiggled around on her cpu no matter how many times i tried to clamp down the push pins.... with both her old HSF and the new stock one. Maybe something's wrong with the mobo's holes for them? I dunno. How should I actually be doing the push pins? When I do it, i make sure all four are unlatched. I push down on the first pair (each one diagonally opposite of each other) and twist them in (sometimes I accidentally lean over to one side and bend it a little), then do the other pair. For some reason I can get one pair latched in and immobile, but the second allow for some '/' movement (the upper right and lower left push pins don't go in all the way or something)

Should the push pins be a lot easier than this?

etc.

If you have any information or answers regarding this or the HSF itself... much appreciated :)
RAM : 4GB DDR2 800MHz (OCZ Platinum)
HDD : Main: 120GB SSD SATA2 (OCZ) Storage: 3TB SATA2 (WD Green) Backup: 500GB External USB (Hitatchi)
GFX : HD4850 (512MB)
PSU : 610W PC Power Silencer
MoBo: Asus P5Q SE
View : Acer H213H 21.5" @ 1920 x 1080

Oshawa Deathmatch Community -- An open group for Durham/Toronto Airsoft, Paintball, and Nerf players. Come join!

I am a Level/Game Designer! http://mikeseguin.webs.com/
Old September 26, 2008, 10:17 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

1) make sure your fan is blowing towards the rear of the case

2) for thermal paste get MX-2

3) when you instal the push pins they have arrows, push down on the pins and then twist in the direction of the arrows.
Old September 26, 2008, 10:22 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by yycraven View Post
1) make sure your fan is blowing towards the rear of the case

2) for thermal paste get MX-2

3) when you instal the push pins they have arrows, push down on the pins and then twist in the direction of the arrows.
if it's that simple, there must be something wrong with my mom's motherboard since no matter how i did that, i couldn't get it to sit securely. There was always slack. And judging by her temps (60C) it wasn't helping much.

Hopefully i can do it without hassle with this... :/
HDD : Main: 120GB SSD SATA2 (OCZ) Storage: 3TB SATA2 (WD Green) Backup: 500GB External USB (Hitatchi)

Oshawa Deathmatch Community -- An open group for Durham/Toronto Airsoft, Paintball, and Nerf players. Come join!

Old September 27, 2008, 07:34 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

yycraven, what do you mean by "twist in the direction of hte arrows"? The arrows point in the direction you have to turn to remove the heatsink!

Or are you talking about a different method? Like have them all turned, push them down, and turn them back again?

Old September 27, 2008, 09:47 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

[quote=kev.nam;93363]yycraven, what do you mean by "twist in the direction of hte arrows"? The arrows point in the direction you have to turn to remove the heatsink!

Sorry yeah thats what I was trying to say,
Old September 27, 2008, 10:22 AM
Allstar
F@H

[quote=yycraven;93396]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev.nam View Post
yycraven, what do you mean by "twist in the direction of hte arrows"? The arrows point in the direction you have to turn to remove the heatsink!

Sorry yeah thats what I was trying to say,

wait, WHAT? the arrows on the push pins indicate which way they have to be twisted to take OFF the heatsink?! I was using that as an indication of which way to turn them to latch them down!! Maybe thats why it wasn't working >__<

BTW, how good is the thermal paste that comes with the OCZ vendetta II?

Old September 27, 2008, 11:27 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, the arrows show which way to turn to remove the heatsink. Turn them back the other way, then they will fasten down. Warning: the stock E8400 heatsink is tiny, what CPU are you putting it on? If it's not a 45nm Core 2, that stock E8400 HSF won't cool the chip properly.

Apparently, the Vendetta 2 comes with OCZ Freeze TIM, which is pretty good. No need to get something else unless you really want to.
Old September 27, 2008, 12:26 PM
Allstar
F@H

okay, um, should i use all of the thermal paste in the package, or just a bit? as well, how should i best apply it?

and i ended up figuring out the reason behind the push pins not working on my mother's motherboard (lol); the motherboard wasn't sitting on any shoes--it was right up against the back of the case and not giving the fastners any headroom under the board.

However, after reseating her motherboard, and putting the HSF back in, there was no slack, but for some reason it still wasn't making good contact with her cpu. The temperature was at 70C compared to upwards of 90C before...

I better not have this seating problem with my ocz vendetta II...

though I hear the bolt through kit is much easier to install and provides a much better mechanical contact. I wonder how much a bolt thru kit costs

BTW, how much of the TIM included with the Vendetta II should be applied when i go to install it? And what should it be put on--the cpu, or the heatsink? I'm thinking i should spread it in a thin, even layer over the entire top of the cpu. Thoughts?

Old September 27, 2008, 04:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

i hope you put stand offs on that thing otherwise your going to short out your board.

you only need a small amount like the size of a grain of rice.
Old September 27, 2008, 05:19 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

In the Vendetta 2 review on this site there is a link to another article on applying TIM to different types of CPU Heat Sinks. I used that as my guide and it seemed to work well.

OCZ Vendetta 2 CPU Cooler Review

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...1&limitstart=5

As for the placement, my HSF is pulling air in and pushing it through the fins so the fan faces the front of the case. If you move one of the fans up to the top of the case you can create a nice wind tunnel with the fan in the front drawing air, the fan on the HS drawing that fresh cool air and the fan at the back of the case drawing the air out and exhausting it. The top fan on the Antec 900 helps with the air that cycles to the top and expelling it, as hot air rises.
Tablet - Asus eee Transformer
Wife's Rig - Lenovo Laptop