View Single Post
Old October 12, 2008, 07:16 PM
Rookie

Default First build, check this over

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

Gaming, Photoshop, Painter, Learning 3dsmax, Learning Zbrush, Movies

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

~$1500 - >$2000 would be ideal

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

Canada

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.

My preference goes to the best performance/price ratio not brand

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

None

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.

Yes, I did lots of research

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

Some mild overclocking once I get more comfortable building

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?

I plan on ordering parts within a week if not sooner

I have put a build together that seems like it will work for me, I researched every single part I chose from multiple sources and benchmarks.

I will be using a 24" monitor if that information is needed.

The build:

COOLER MASTER RC-690
GIGABYTE GA-X48-DS4
Q6600
OCZ Vendetta 2
CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000w
2x 4850 cards in CF
OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800
WD Caviar SE16 640 GB (can and will get another or raptors later)
ASUS 20X DVD±R

I plan to overclock the processor to around 3Ghz maybe more, This will be my first ever PC build so any tips and criticism is welcome.

While I'm at it... Do I need to use motherboard risers, do I need to plug the 4 or 8 pin connector into the motherboard as well as the 24 pin main power and lastly do I need to use thermal grease or is the performance gain minor enough to ignore when not planning to OC very high (don't really trust myself applying a liquid to things that tend to break when liquids are applied to them just yet).