View Single Post
Old October 6, 2008, 03:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I believe he said he doesn't plan on OC'ing his CPU, therefore no Aftermarket CPU Cooler (HSF) required. If it helps you out, here's a great Rig (personally I'd stay away from the thought of worrying about XFire with the ATI 4870x2, as it will likely go the way of the Quad SLI 9800GX2...too much heat / noise and better solutions out thier. I'm sure I'll get "hammered" by all the Pro Inel MOBO and ATI folks, but I really have to stick up for what I believe is a greta gaming Rig and components which I have had a lot odf pleasure using. Firstly, if you plan on Gaming with your Rig on a 22" monitor, the components are as follows (and will allow for the optional 2nd Video Card later, if you choose to go with a 24" 1920 x 1200 Res:
1. E8400 CPU (you can get away with OC'ing fairly substantially without a HSF, up to approx. 3.6 Ghz)
2. Evga 750i Mobo (capable of 2 way SLI if you choose that route later on)
3. Evga GTX 260 Core 216 GPU (2nd Card later on if you choose to go with a 24" or larger monitor later on)
4. Corsair 1000W PSU (better to give yourself adequate headroom in case you go wwith 2nd Graphics Card) - PC Power and Cooling 750W if you plan on sticking to single Graphics Card.
5. 2 x 2GB (4GB) Corsair Dominator DDR2 PC8500 1066 Mhz RAM (if you go XP 32 bit, no big deal to use it, if you go Vista 64 bit, you'll be glad you have it)
6. 350 - 500 GB HDD (really, how much space did you use up on your old Rig?)
7. 1 DVD Reader and 1 DVD Burner (I like alternating between 2, they're really really cheap)
8. Decent Case providing adequate Air Flow and large enough to house your Graphics Card, perhaps the Antec 1200.
Thats it, this Rig wil provide you with great gaming and very reasonable cost, without headache ....guarenteed!! Cost will be very reasonable and if your not comfortable building it yourself, take all the componenets to a reputable store and have them build it. likey a couple of hours tops (including OS installation and some benching).

Hope this helps you out.
Have fun with it!