View Single Post
Old September 17, 2008, 02:48 AM
MVP

Default First actual build, need help with a couple questions

Hi everyone, it's nice to finally find a friendly community of tech lovers for a change! Especially one up here in Canada!
I'm in the midst of building my first from scratch gaming rig and I just wanted to run it by some people that know they're stuff! I was a hardcore FPS gamer for a long time (from Wolfenstein to Call of Duty 2 time frame) then my PC couldn't handle the newer games as well as I'd like so now I'm building a new one to run the new FPS games coming out this fall (FarCry 2, Call of Duty: World At War, Wolfenstein, Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway)
I don't have too much knowledge on hardware, I'm more of a software guy, but I've had a few friends try and help me out with what to get and how it all works in terms of compatability.

Ok, so consulting with a few people that have given me some tips, these are the essential parts I'm looking into. I'm hoping the build doesn't sound too rookie. There are a few parts I need some help and/or pointers on. Ok so the parts...

Motherboard: EVGA Nforce 780I SLI
Link: EVGA Nforce 780I SLI LGA775 ATX 3PCI-E16 1PCI-E1 2PCI SATA2 RAID Sound GBLAN 1394 Motherboard - DirectCanada

Processor: I'm looking into the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 (3.0GHz)
Link: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 Quad Core Processor LGA775 3.0GHZ Yorkfield 1333FSB 12MB Retail Box - DirectCanada

Video Card: EVGA E-GEFORCE GTX 280 602MHZ 1024MB 2.214GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out Video Card
Link: EVGA E-GEFORCE GTX 280 602MHZ 1024MB 2.214GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out Video Card - DirectCanada

Power Supply: Corsair HX1000W CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX 20/24PIN ATX 80A 12V Afc Modular Power Supply W/ 140MM Fan (I know it's a big PSU but I'd like to have it in case I want to add another video card later on.)
Link: Corsair HX1000W CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX 20/24PIN ATX 80A 12V Afc Modular Power Supply W/ 140MM Fan - DirectCanada
(Also considering the Ultra X3 ULT40064 1000-Watt Power Supply)

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB Hard Drive Oem 3YR Mfr Warranty
Link: Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB Hard Drive Oem 3YR Mfr Warranty - DirectCanada

RAM: Corsair Dual Channel TWINX 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2 x 2048MB)

Other parts:
a cheap DVD-RW drive
Link: Samsung SH-S223F Black SATA DVD+RW 22X8X16 DVD-RW 22X6X16 16X/12X DL INT DVD Writer OEM - DirectCanada
Sound Card (sound blaster Audigy)
Link: SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY SE 4L - DirectCanada
and I'll be running XP Home.

Ok so that's the essentials, now I have a few questions about weather it's a good idea to use all those parts for a system, cooling, and my case.

First, is it a good build? Haha kind of a blunt question but if it's not, any suggestions?

Second, for the CPU cooling unit or system, would the Thermalright ULTRA-120 Extreme 6 Heatpipe Cooler LGA775 Heatsink work well? I suppose it would have a lot to do with the case and air flow?
Thermalright ULTIMA-90 6 Heatpipe Cooler LGA775 AM2 CPU Heatsink *Fan Not Included* - DirectCanada
What fan(s) do I need to get with that? Just one 120mm?

Third, the case I at the present time would like to get is the:
Apevia X-Jupiter G Type ATX Full Tower Case - Clear Side, Front USB and FireWire Ports (I hope the PSU fits...) It's air cooled, and has 5 fan ports. I don't think the blowhole one will fit properly with such a big PSU from what I've read, but people suggest a smaller fan for that area.
Link to case: Welcome to Apevia.com | *X-JUPITERG-BK
Would that case be good enough for the system? If not, does anyone have any suggestions as to a better one for this situation? I'd like to have air cooled because I've never used liquid cooling and I'm a bit nervous about it. From what I've heard, air cooling can do just fine if setup properly.
Edit: Been looking at the Cooler Master stacker series...wondering if that might be a better choice of case for this system. But there's no temperature display or fan controls.
Basically I'm looking for a big case with a lot of room with a lot of fans that won't break the budget. Another one I see getting good reviews is the Tagan Black Pearl.

That's my biggest concern is the air flow and cooling of the system because I've again read a lot of cases where people are running this processor hot, so I really don't know what more I would need. If it comes down to it and nobody thinks the cooling system will cut it, I can maybe downgrade to a different processor (Q9550 or Q9400) in light of affording a more expensive case if necessary. *crosses fingers that doesn't happen*
I'm also wondering about the compound or solution you put on the processor before the fan or cooling unit and how that works.

I'm probably not going to overclock anything because well if I get something like that I don't need any more power out of it.
Again I'm sorry if I sound rookie with all of this, it's interesting and fun to learn, and that's what I want to keep doing...learning about it. Plus it's my first build so I want to make sure I don't screw anything up, especially because it's a bit of an investment. With the listed parts I'm getting a total of around $2000-$2100 or so. I'm also going to be ordering all the available parts through Direct Canada, from the looks of it they seem to have a good reputation. (Except for a few people saying they order through NCIX instead, so I hope there's nothing wrong with Direct Canada.) So if anyone chooses to give any opinions or suggestions that would be so greatly appreciated. I won't be ordering the parts for another week or maybe a bit longer.

I know it's a lot of reading, and a lot of questions and I just want to say that any help will be greatly appreciated and not overlooked.

Thanks for reading,
Brian.

Last edited by Brian; September 17, 2008 at 04:45 AM.