View Single Post
Old September 3, 2008, 02:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default New Gaming Rig - Asking Advice on Hardware

OK, so I'm winding up to build a new gaming rig and I have an overall idea in mind. I've played around a LOT with different hardware configurations and this is what I've tentatively settled on:

Case - SilverStone TJ09 Black W/Clear Side NCIX.com - Buy Silverstone Temjin TJ09B-W Black E-ATX Case 4X5.25 1X3.5 6X3.5INT No PS W/ Window - TJ09B-W In Canada.

PSU - OCZ StealthXStream 600W NCIX.com - Buy OCZ StealthXStream 600W ATX12V 20/24PIN Active PFC ATX Power Supply 120MM Fan Black - OCZ600SXS In Canada.
Or BFG ES800 800W NCIX.com - Buy BFG ES800 800W Power Supply ATX V2.2 EPS12V 20/24PIN 80PLUS Active PFC Dual 8PIN PCI-E 138MM Fan - BFGR800WESPSU In Canada.

MB Foxconn X38A ATX LGA775 Crossfire NCIX.com - Buy Foxconn X38A ATX LGA775 CrossFire DDR2/DDR3 3PCI-E16 2PCI SATA2 HD Sound GBLANX2 1394A Motherboard - X38A In Canada.

CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHZ Yorkfield 1333FSB 12MB NCIX.com - Buy Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Quad Core Processor LGA775 2.83GHZ Yorkfield 1333FSB 12MB Retail Box - BX80569Q9550 In Canada.

Video 2x Sapphire radeon HD4850 512MB NCIX.com - Buy Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 PCI-E Video Card - 100242L In Canada.

RAM Buffalo Firestix 2x2GB DDR2-1066 4GB Kit NCIX.com - Buy Buffalo Firestix FSX1066D2C-K4G 4GB 2X2GB PC2-8500 DDR2-1066 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit - FSX1066D2C-K4G In Canada.

HDD 2x Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM SATA II 32MB CACHE NCIX.com - Buy Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 3.5IN 500GB SATA2 8.5MS 7200RPM 32MB Cache NCQ Hard Drive OEM - ST3500320AS In Canada.

Optical Drive - LG GH22NS30 Black SATA NCIX.com - Buy LG GH22NS30 Black DVD+RW 22X8X16 DVD-RW 22X6X16 DL 16X/12X 2MB SATA OEM - GH22NS30 BLACK In Canada.

Accessories

CPU Heatsink Thermalright TRUE Black 120 CPU Cooler NCIX.com - Buy Thermalright ULTRA-120 Extreme Black Edition 6 Heatpipe Cooler LGA775 Heatsink *Fan Not Included* - TRUEBLACK120 In Canada.

First thing's first, if anyone knows any reason why any of these parts are a bad choice, either because they don't play well with others or they're simply bad products/brands, PLEASE speak up and let me know what I should be swapping out, what product would be a better choice, and WHY the product is a lemon.

Secondly, I'm really not shooting for the stars on the latest and greatest technology. (Obviously) I'm more shooting for that 'cost to performance sweet spot' where the price is reasonable but the performace is still nice. Please keep that in mind when recomending products. My price is flexible for sure, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that a skulltrain would be higher performing, but there's a reason it's not on my list.

This system is moving in a whole new direction for me. It'll be my first Intel based machine since a P2 for starters. I'm not an AMD fan-boy or anything, but for gaming they ruled the roost for a long time, and they pushed for gamers. That's earned a checkmark in my book up till now. With the latest developments, however, AMD has pulled a few nasty tricks (tri-core resails, rigged performance testing, etc.) that have really brought my love for the company down a few rungs. So with Intel being the new king, I thought I'd give it a shot. This being said, I'm only vaguely familiar with the Intel lineup at best. A little advice on the best choice of processors would be heartily appreciated. My decision to start out by looking at the Q9550 is mostly because of the 12MB of cache.

Also, this will flat out be my first time choosing ATI over nVidia. After doing a lot of extensive reading and research on the subject, it very clear that ATI is absolutely dominating the 'performance to dollar' area of the video card market. So I'm very gung-ho for trying out the 48xx series cards! (Yes I know AMD owns them now, which makes this seem contradictory to my processor comment, but you just can't argue the numbers.)

Crossfire... another first for me. Actually, running multiple GPU's in any format is a first for me! When SLi was introduced, and ran buggy as all get-out, it really made me stick to the 'one PC, one video card' idea. But, again, you just can't argue with numbers. both the 4850 and 4870 running in Crossfire are absolutely stunning in their performance! And with increased support for multi-GPU's from both manufacturers and Windows... I'm ready to take the plunge. However, this brings up a question I'm really struggling with: power consumption. I'd really rather not have to go with a 1000W PSU if I can avoid it. But can I get away with a 600W instead of an 800W?

For answers and/or advice on all these questions, please keep in mind that I am NOT an avid overclocker. I firmly believe in running hardware at it's intended output with few exceptions.

Also, the case is a firm choice. I have a case mod I'm designing specifically for this case, and once I get the hardware purchased, I will be posting my worklog on the project. Although, I can't see any problems with the case at all, since it's simply a marvel of case technology and innovation. =)

Last edited by Caldezar; September 3, 2008 at 02:44 PM. Reason: edited for spacing