View Single Post
Old August 26, 2008, 10:47 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit View Post
Those numbers do not just not add up, they really do not add up. With about 65G of visible files plus 10G for a hibernation file and swap file (what does Vista default the swap file to with 4G RAM?) you still have 25% missing space. It might be time to try out some of those data visulaisation tools to figure out what is happening. Maybe you have some kind of weird cluster size that is eating space.
I checked and Windows dedicated 4.29GB as a swap file. By the way, I'd like to point out that now Windows says I'm only using 98GB of the drive.

Just 2 hours ago it said 102GB and I have not installed or uninstalled any software or moved any files at all.

I run disk cleanup almost daily, so that's not it either.

If I do "Select All" on all of the folders on C, then it shows 61.8GB total size right now. If I disable "Hide protected system files, etc" and the swap and other ones show up, then my total goes to 66.1GB.

I have no idea where these other 30GB are.

UPDATE: I found out what this crap was! It is system restore points. Apparently I had like 30 backups (Windows makes a restore point each time it installs a patch, etc). You gotta open Disk Cleanup and then go under More Options.

Now my total shows to be 65.2GB which is FAR closer to the truth. :)
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 240GB Corsair Force 3 in RAID1 | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 2GB GTX 670 | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit