View Single Post
Old August 21, 2008, 04:39 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
That's a damn nice list of parts. You've done your homework. I'd stay to the 750w power supply myself, with all your extra drives and stuff. The 620 would probably be ok, but the fan noise increases as your load percentage increases. That is, you'd probably notice the fan noise more from the 620 running at 80% load than the 750 running at 67% load.
Great advice, i checked again, and i actually have 7 HDs in my case at the moment. (i know) 4 IDE's and 3 SATA's. I plan on replacing at least 2 of the old IDE Drives with the new ones, possibly all of them. But either way, that'll leave me with at least 5 HDs running, so the extra power is probably a good idea.

Quote:
If you don't plan to OC, or even to "mildly" OC your system, that HSF will be just fine. And your memory would be ok to a 3.2Ghz overclock (8x400). Whether you can get the chip there without overpowering the AC7 is another issue. As geokilla said, the Mushkins are very popular, but in short supply right now.
In that case, would i be better off with one of these:

Mushkin SP PC2-6400 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-800 CL5-5-5-18 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit

or

Mushkin HP PC2-6400 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-800 CL5-4-4-12 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit
And would i see any advantage with the different timings? (I really don't know anything about timings, except that they're the 5-4-4-12 numbers)

Quote:
As for the monitor, I'd take the Benq over Acer. And you will absolutely love 24", I use them both at work and home.
Not helping contain the excitement

Quote:
As for saving some cash, you could look at a E8400-E8500 processor, it would actually be better for gaming, but not as quick for your video converting/editing. Or you get a Q9300 and OC the hell out of it. The Q6600 is still a pretty good chip too, just not 45nm.
I did consider this, but i also read that even though quad cores aren't as good for gaming right now, that future games will most likely be made to take advantage of quad core technology. The next time i expect to be able to do an upgrade like this will be 2-3 years.. Would you expect quad core to have a significant advantage between now and then, or should i just go dual core and suck suck it up a bit on my video conversions? Keep in mind i'm going from a P4 2.6HT with who knows what brand of RAM and an Aopen motherboard, so either way i'm sure i'll see a big difference.