View Single Post
Old January 25, 2016, 11:46 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

There seems to be some confusion in arguments here, or at least amalgamation of various things.

16:10 is better than 16:9 for productivity purposes, sure. Example 1920x1200 vs 1920x1080 on a monitor of the same size (lets say 24"). Of course, resolution and aspect ratio are two different things, 2560x1440 (16:9) is clearly better than 1920x1200 (16:9) by the same token. Of course, if you compare 2560x1600 (30", 16:10) to 2560x1440 (27", 16:9), the former provides more vertical space while the latter provides better pixel density (PPI). The balance of all these things matter.

However, resolutions and physical monitor size don't matter when it comes to field of view in games. This is separate from UI elements being smaller and the anti-aliasing (typically higher PPI) benefits of higher resolution.

The actual field of view is calculated based on the monitor aspect ratio along with the field of view scaling mode used.

As most games continue to use HOR+, 1920x1080 (16:9) actually provides more view horizontally, and the same view vertically, as 1920x1200 (16:10). As you can imagine, 21:9 also benefits from this, but this can be quite odd in some games unless you manually adjust the FOV value, and even then, you may not be able to get it quite right.

Anamorphic typically keeps the same view and does this for widescreen aspect ratios by cutting off a portion of the top or bottom. You may recall Witcher 2 was like this originally but fairly quickly changed due to complaints.

These are the most typically used ones, but there are others (such as Vert-, which is very detrimental to widescreen).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
This is my issue when looking at upgrades these days. I'm so used to the 1200 that I'd never be able to go back to 1080p (that's for TVs.... ;) ) on my monitor, but I'm not convinced I have the grunt in a single 970 to properly drive 1440.
This is a false belief. A close relative has had both a 970 and 2560x1440 60hz monitor for at least 6 months at this point if not longer. He has played virtually everything demanding you can think of that is recent (Shadow of Mordor, Witcher 3, Dragon Age Inquistion, etc) without issue.

If you are looking to simply max sliders in games you will definitely have problems, but smart adjustment of certain settings (on a per game basis) will have you playing without any worry.

Personally, I'd say you should be more concerned about the implications a higher resolution will have to your mouse settings.

Last edited by Vittra; January 25, 2016 at 11:52 AM.