View Single Post
Old August 13, 2008, 07:11 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
Heheheh.........yea weekly statement...heh

Ok , 'the stuff you buy at Canadian Tire' that you speak of , I assume , is GE Silicone II ?

Interesting.That's what the original tank is made from.I know for a fact it's Iso resistant.

I've actually found rtv157 locally ,but if I can confirm they are in fact the same thing ,thats good to know.I'll get some glass strips on order and do some tests.I've got silicone II in the workshop.

--------

As far as # 2 goes , Motherboards or any other PCB are generally not affected by IPA.It's one of the approved solvents for cleaning them.

I have aready done some minor tests....perhaps you remember this. hehe

Thanks again John ! , I'm quite curious about the whole silicone thing.

edit : I just checked the prices.They can't be the same thing , RTV157 is ten times the cost of GE silicone II , @ 33$ per 82 ml tube.Not that I'm complaining , thats still totally reasonable.
Hehe... Welcome in the Aeronautical World Ross! 33$ a pop is nothing, really...! Remember that any product used on an aircraft has to meet stringent rules, test samples have to be made over and over multiple samples batches, Certificate of Compliance Reports have to be made for all batches. That adds to the cost of everything we use.

Believe it or not but GE Silicone II is of the same family as RTV157. It meets the specs of ASTM C-920, which in turn is the manufacturing regulatory equivalent of Mil-A-46106, the specification on which RTV 157 is based. If you find one spec or the other (or any silicone that is part of the RTV100 series or the Dow Corning 73x series), they are the same with minor differences.

Check out your link (GE Sealants and Adhesives - Residential GE Silicone II* Window and Door) and the specs shown at the buttom; now compare this to the RTV100 spec page: GESilicones - Master Grade.

Quote:
Paste adhesive with FDA, USDA, NSF, MIL-A-46106 (Group I, Type I), MIL-S-47162, MIL-S-14112 and UL recognition.
If you scroll at the bottom, you will find the Regulatory Compliance table and the Federal Specifications; ASTM C-920 is amongst them.

Now, for #2... you did perform that test, but that was with under ambiant temps, right? I wrote:

Quote:
The fiberglass can handle the cold and the iso no problem he says, but the resin resistance to cold and iso is another story... with time, the resin will degrade to the point of cracking the fiberglass.
Have you tested this?

If you want some RTV157, I can find samples at work and send them over.
John