View Single Post
Old August 13, 2008, 09:39 AM
Rookie

Question Too many choices! Need advice!

Hey all, I'm looking to seriously upgrade my PC in the next couple of weeks, but since this will probably be the last time i can do it for a while, i want to make sure i get the best i can for the money i can spend.

I've already pretty much decided to go with the Intel Q9550 (NCIX has them going for $369.99) but everything else is kind of up in the air.

So far, i'm thinking:

ASUS Striker II Extreme 790I Ultra

EVGA E-GEFORCE 9800GX2 (thinking maybe two of these, NCIX: $299 each. They were $289, but the price on them changed today)

Noctua NH-U12P LGA775 AM2 Heatsink Heatpipe Cooler W/ NF-P12 120MM Fan
Enermax Galaxy Dxx 1000W Power Supply ATX V2.0 EPS12V SLI RoHS 24PIN 135MM Fan

OCZ XTC SLI Ready OCZ3N2000SR2GK 2GB DDR3 2X1GB DDR3-2000 CL 9-9-9-28 Dual Channel EPP Mem

Don't need any Hard Drives, case, DVD-RW or anything, already have them (Thermaltake Armor case, Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 3.5IN 500GB SATA2 8.5MS 7200RPM 32MB Cache, and LG 16x SATA DVDRW, AG Neovo 19" monitor (looking to upgrade that to at least a 24" soon enough)) I will also be adding a 47" 1080p HDTV in the next couple months, so that's a must.

The only thing is, with those new ATI 4870 X2s just coming out (NCIX shows they have the Sapphire's in stock for $599.99), I'm wondering if i shouldn't reconsider. I've done some searching around to try to see how the MB and Video cards match up, but can't find any real good reviews with both together. I did find one person who said he didn't think the board would fit two of the GX2's together cuz it would block parts of the board, but no one else has mentionned it.

I'd like some advice on what Motherboard and Video combination you all think would be best, and also.. is it worth it for me to go with the DDR3 Ram (and if so, is it worth going with the 2000mhz?).. If i change the board, should i change the RAM too? And lastly, is that power supply overkill, or is it a case of better safe than sorry? I'm not really looking to overclock, unless it would really be worth the difference.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if i sound like a n00b, it's been a while since i've had the funds to be able to even look at new parts like this