View Single Post
Old October 17, 2013, 08:34 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Sell all of it and get a qnap NAS. :)

If you don't want to sell it I would highly suggest getting a cheap passively cooled video card. Raid 1 the important data or build multiple raid 1's if you want. This computer should handle multiple connections no problem. Alternatively you could add a 1gb network card and bridge it along with the other motherboard nic card spread the love a little easier. :) I think you'll find that multiple people actually accessing the file server at the same time happens less frequently than most people think. I've used a USB2 drive plugged into my router and run two movies at the same time on different computers no problem. So really... a computer like yours will easily handle files.

-Invest in a inexpensive raid card. Adaptec or LSI. Something that will run raid 0,1,10. These can be had for 100 bux. I think the hardware raid's are far more reliable and responsive.
-I like the idea of using an ssd for a file server only for fast reboots etc and I will be using one in mine as well.
-low speed 1000rpm fans Geild makes 10 dollar fans that are perfect for file servers imo.
-any more than 4gb of ram is a waste for a small file server it wont get used.
-don't overclock... you want this cpu running as cool as possible on the lowest RPM cooler you can. Saving power is the key here.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.