GIGABYTE Mid-High End Performance Model - Z87X-OC Guide
View Single Post
October 9, 2013, 08:29 AM
Join Date: Jul 2009
Temperature (Room temperature is 29˚C)
Enter to OS Desktop - 40~56
Running ADIA64 to full speed 4670K - 68~80
4670K OC to 4.5GHz is lower than 4770K a little.
I use pretty high end cooler, Thermalright Archon SB-E X2. The performance is very impressive.
However, if you want to OC to 4.6~4.7GHz and running benchmark software stablily, you need more effort for voltage and temperature control.
Expecting further Haswell CPU yield rate improved, we can see air cooling 4.6~4.8GHz level.
The main difference between Haswell and former2 structures is CPU frequency can pull higher.
In other words, you can OC by pulling CPU frequency. 4th generation CPU adds back this feature again.
The test below is pulling CPU frequency from 100MHz to 166MHz for CINEBENCH R11.5 test.
Of course, this setting can pass Hyper PI 32M to prove 166MHz stability is ok.
GIGABYTE Z87X-OC Conclusion
1. As high end Z87 OC MB, the price is close to mainstream high end board.
2. Phase in FHD UEFI BIOS. It also provides previous UEFI BIOS interface.
3. Exclusive OC-Touch design is more advanced. It provides more features and tuning settings.
4. OC Ignition can provide power to fan or other hardware under system shut down.
5.OC PEG provides power for individual PCIe slot. OC Brace can fix several PCIe cards when you use outsidechassis.
6. Black Nippon Chemi-Con caps life time is 10000 hours under 105?C working temperature.
1. DDR3 3000 bandwidth is too low. Hopefully, it can improve by BIOS tuning.
2. For 3-Way AMD CrossFireX, I hope it will provide X8 + X8 + X8 bandwidth.
3. It can use better audio chip than Realtek ALC898.
Performance ★★★★★★★★☆☆ 86/100
Components ★★★★★★★★★☆ 85/100
Specification ★★★★★★★★☆☆ 82/100
Appearance ★★★★★★★★☆☆ 80/100
C/P Value ★★★★★★★★★☆ 82/100
Intel new structure does improve DDR3 bandwidth and OC limitation. Built-in HD4600 GPU also raises the 3D performance.
I have shared this in previous i7-4770K performance test.
This review, I used lower price Intel Core i5-4760K. CUP/DDR3 OC range is similar to 4770K.
If you consider to buy Core i5 CPU and you have more budget, also you want to do some quick OC, 4670K is a good pick for you.
Z87X-OC implements many OC features in both software and hardware. Even though it?s still some spec difference with Z87X-OC Force, Z87X-OC C/P value is better.
It has most OC features and components.
It?s a good option for less budget overclokers.
However, for most users, I think G1 series is more attractive.
Besides G1.SNIPER5, I hope GIGABYTE can provide a mainstream ATX G1 model as Z87X-OC. :)
The paper is also published on my Blog
, 3C fans are welcome to visit and give advice or comments:)
My System Specs
View Public Profile
Send a private message to windwithme
Visit windwithme's homepage!
Find all posts by windwithme