View Single Post
Old October 4, 2013, 01:06 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Wink

Quote:
LGA775 P4's tended to have a fair bit of overclocking headroom - so I'm a bit surprised that you were able to get so little out of it at stock volts
Confirmed that this is the board issue. By - another CPU. Friend send me a 2x Pentium 4 650 - a LGA 775 3.4GHz chip with 2MB L2. Except my confusion that I need to put some load on the chip to stay at 3.4GHz (it switch to 2.8GHz ASAP (x14) when there is no load... at x17 it should be, but only when there is some work to do...) I'm fairly happy with it. Now the problem witch overclocking:

Put a 208MHz FSB and got the ACPI bios failure BSOD during booting.
Put a 206MHz FSB and got it working fine:

3.5GHz is the most it can do:

CPU-Z Validator 3.1
trodas`s CPU Frequency score: 3500 mhz with a Pentium 4 3.4 GHz Prescott

Therefore by another independent CPU it is verified, that the FSB increases there could be only very slight It makes me wonder, if using Pentium 4 670 (3.8GHz chip) would even allow me any overclocking. Perhaps 2MHz FSB up...?

For overclocking LGA 775 chips - I got a collection now, lol:

...is necessary to use some respectable board, like Asus P5E64 WS Evolution one:
ASUS P5E64 WS Evolution(X48) mini Review

That, combined with good cooling and perhaps even IHS removal, will allow some serious overclock
The MSI PM8M3-V is really a low-end mobo, happy to even work at such speeds, IMHO.